I Fancy A Change

Hi there ... for years i have been in to working dogs more labs

for picking up and working tests..last year i lost my last lab and

decide to call it a day after a bit of a break i fancy getting back in

to working dogs/hunting do i go with gundogs again or do i go

for a couple whippets and a ferret or two.. as a change?

or. do i go for a few terriers and go down the ratting route

how do i find out if theres a opening in my area for this

cheers

Surely Only you know what you want to do,only way to find out is get round an ask but by time you get a pup an it's old enough to work the permission would gone to someone else,

Myself probably get terrier or beddy whippet go ratting /mooching less likely to get in trouble doing that.

Get yourself a lurcher/whippet and a lamp to start with and take it from there. I would only get one dog and put everything into it for the first few years. If you`ve been into gun dogs etc you should get some rabbiting permission no problem. Good luck.

cheers for that just looking for some good advice and hints tips re training etc

Ross remember they arn't labs, and as such you need to manage your own expectations of them, I have been around labs and spaniels also I have trained pointers, I love the gundog breeds, I did start with lurchers, my dad being a big terrier man, 5 yr ago I bought myself a whippet x and last yr I picked a terrier up, it's like going back to my childhood, but the labrador discipline, took a lot of getting out of, they are very different breeds, end of last season, I brought on a young lab for a mate, and miss them I do, my own lab now in his last yr or so, having said that, the whippet x and terrier are a real joy and privilege to work with, I am however looking for another gundog, as they are somethings you just need a gundog for, good luck with your decision,they will all give you joy, if you put the right time into them