5 replies to this topic

#1 littlegee1988

littlegee1988

Rookie Hunter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 28 July 2017 - 02:39 pm

I have a a question for some one a bit more clued up on the behaviour of Britain's native birds. I was recently watching an airarms SA video on YouTube and starlings are still on the general license there not just because of their sheer numbers but the fact that they have been turfing the eggs of rare parrots out of nests and laying there own in place so the unsuspecting parrots will raise thier young for them. Now that's south Africa I know but I have a very large conifer at the bottom of my garden, practically an avian hotel and when I came home from work today found 2 what I'm guessing are pigeon eggs (quite large and white) scattered round the base. Normally I'd have blamed corvids but these eggs were just knocked from the nest not eaten, yolks still clearly there, could this be the behaviour of what I can only describe as the swarm of starlings that plagues my garden?

Thanks. Gee

#2 j j m

j j m

No2 on the Thl welcoming committee.

• Donator
  • 19,451 posts

Posted 01 August 2017 - 03:26 pm

dont see as many starlings up our way

#3 littlegee1988

littlegee1988

Rookie Hunter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 02 August 2017 - 02:46 pm

They are like swarms of insects round where I live

#4 peterhunter86

peterhunter86

Extreme Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,051 posts

Posted 02 August 2017 - 03:27 pm

I can't see parrots or pigeons rearing starlings different diet's, beaks,and ways of feeding.

#5 littlegee1988

littlegee1988

Rookie Hunter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 03 August 2017 - 08:12 am

Just what I'd heard on a video by a south African hunter/conservationist on YouTube, maybe miss heard him and they just steal the nests, either way something pushed 2 eggs out of a nest in my garden

#6 littlegee1988

littlegee1988

Rookie Hunter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 03 August 2017 - 08:14 am

And I've seen starlings eat alsorts like bacon fat, ham, cheese, dog food, rabbit food, literally anything really ...and people call pigeons sky rats ha

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users