Saved A Dog (I Think)

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Took dog out for walk. Coming back along the caladonian canal this women comes running up to me. "Can you help please, this old ladies dog is in the canal and we cant swim or get it out".   so i go

Called the vets. Its still alive and the vets working on it. Least it has a chance

Well done mate, perhaps it was trying to commit suicide though?   Cheers, D.

Dunno mate see folk doing it on movies lol

gets water out/air into lungs. Must have worked cz id have swore it was dead!

when i asked how long it had been under they said 5 mins @least.

Yea happy to have helped the dog and old women

• Like 1

Knowing my luck it would come apart and the the head shoulders go flying back in the canal lol

It prob would, but tbh it was drenched and a pure dead weight.

Must be something in what born says about drowning. Cz i wrote it off as dead.

when the women asked if could help. I expected a dog scrambling@the bank trying to get out. You can imagine what i thought when faced with a dog face down floating!

Knowing my luck it would come apart and the the head shoulders go flying back in the canal lol

It prob would, but tbh it was drenched and a pure dead weight.

Must be something in what born says about drowning. Cz i wrote it off as dead.

when the women asked if could help. I expected a dog scrambling@the bank trying to get out. You can imagine what i thought when faced with a dog face down floating!

If you're interested for a better explanation....

"Because Weddell seals breathe air like all mammals, the diving reflex kicks in to manage the lack of oxygen while underwater. All non-essential processes such as digestion come to a halt, and blood vessels constrict like flood gates, stopping blood flow to outer tissues and organs. The seal’s heart rate slows dramatically, which decreases the amount of blood circulating through its body. Metabolism, the process by which cells create and use energy, declines in the unused parts of its body."

"The diving reflex exists in humans (and other non-aquatic mammals) as a survival mechanism, rather than a means to live every day. Humans “drown” when the automatic reflex to breathe forces us to inhale water into our lungs; suffocation, unconsciousness, and death follow. Medical doctors define “near-drowning” as survival after a person inhales water into his lungs, such as the case with Gore Otteson."

http://dujs.dartmouth.edu/2012/03/the-mammalian-diving-reflex/#.WXdqYITyvcs

The chance of survival after unconsciousness depends on time really. The longer the brain goes without oxygen the greater the chance or damage and death.

I might be wrong in your case Scot but it's a significant mechanism in drowning anyway.

Edited by Born Hunter
  • Like 2

My staffy once jumped 2-3 meters into a lock because she thought the grass cuttings floating on top, were solid ground (thick cnut lol). I had to climb down the ladder knowing if I slipped I was fooked. Canals as has already been said, are lethal.

Never even got her name to see if it made it. The dug was called milly i got that much lol. Small place im sure i will hear.

good Adidas trainers are f***ing soaking and there never the same when drenched haha!

I,m sure karma will pay you back in the future mate, you never know the jogger might have Nike airs in your size on when you catch up with him