What is it all about, another six inch nail lads.

Fox hunters could face five years in jail if they slaughter animals illegally as MPs aim to tighten laws

Fox hunters could face five years in jail if they slaughter animals illegally as MPs aim to tighten laws

MPs want a vote on tightening existing laws even though Prime Minister Theresa May has ruled out bringing back hunting before 2019

MPs are pushing to get the penalty for killing a fox illegally increased from six months' jail to five years

Fox hunters could face five years in jail if they kill animals illegally.

MPs want a vote on tightening existing laws even though Prime Minister Theresa May has ruled out bringing back hunting before 2019.

Prosecutions are difficult now because killing a fox by accident IS legal. So drag or trail hunters can claim their hounds scented a real fox and were uncontrollable.

Labour MP Stephen Pound is backing a change in the law to raise the current penalty of a fine or six months jail to a maximum five years. He said: Killing foxes in this way is medieval barbarism which should be banned.

Current rules allow drag or trail hunters to claim their hounds killed a fox by accident (Image: Flickr RF/Getty Images)

READ MORE

"Barbaric": Wild animals trapped and shot in UK national park to protect birds for shooting season

Jon Proctor of pressure group Keep The Ban claims to have support of Labour, Lib Dem, and SNP MPs for stiffer punishment. He said: People who shoplift a can of beans are more harshly punished.

The group also wants the police and Crown Prosecution Service to enforce the law more stringently.

There have been 280 successful prosecutions since the Hunting Act came into force 12 years ago.

1 HOUR AGOholamiga81

What the Tories think are sport, the Tories think blood sports are sport. These can never be described as sport when the humans hold all the advantages and remains cowardly.

ReplyShare10

2 HOURS AGOonetrustedgent

majority of tory mp's doing a five year stretch, great report a tory and get him sent down

ReplyShare10

2 HOURS AGONotbeingfooled

It's about time MPs closed the loophole of it being ok to legally "accidentally" kill foxes. If any member of the public "accidentally" left any pet & as a result the animal died through their carelessness they would rightly so be prosecuted, if a farmer ill-treated livestock they would be prosecuted. Ripping foxes to bits by hounds is no different. Given prosecution's are rare & are mostly private prosecution's the punishment needs to fit the crime. The hunting fraternity do seem to be sociopaths, mostly Tories who get pleasure out of inflicting suffering.

ReplyShare10

4 HOURS AGOFran Cotton

Good, jail them.

ReplyShare30

6 HOURS AGOscotslad47

how do you kill a fox by accident that's rubbish that's a claim these thugs use so they don't get locked up, I would report any scumbag fox killers hunting these poor animals, fox killer trash should have there dogs shot on sight if hunting them,

ReplyShare7 replies51

Show more comments

Edited by MOLE265

I envy you living over there in Britain.

We here in Ireland have a homelessness problem, unemployment, a housing crisis and a migrant problem.

But ye lucky folk over there have problems such as those who might kill a fox by accident.

• Like 7

Makes you f***ing laugh lets shoot the dogs but protect a f***ing fox . There a bunch of contradicting c**ts . I say we should have a season on fox a season on badger and a season on these tree hugging hippy twats . Because they all need to be controlled

• Like 4

I watched a programme on the TV a couple of days ago, it was in America and they were raiding an illegal cockfighting ring.

They burst into your man's yard, took dozens of healthy "BEAUTIFUL" (their words) cockerels and proceeded to kill the f***ing lot !!!

Me and the wife were gobsmacked, I'm quite sure given the choice those chucks would of chosen to continue their healthy living rather than die.........WTF do these people get through their heads ?

I'm in no way condoning cock fighting but surely to God, if you were raiding somewhere to stop cruelty you'd have a better outcome than death

• Like 9

I watched a programme on the TV a couple of days ago, it was in America and they were raiding an illegal cockfighting ring.

They burst into your man's yard, took dozens of healthy "BEAUTIFUL" (their words) cockerels and proceeded to kill the f***ing lot !!!

Me and the wife were gobsmacked, I'm quite sure given the choice those chucks would of chosen to continue their healthy living rather than die.........WTF do these people get through their heads ?

I'm in no way condoning cock fighting but surely to God, if you were raiding somewhere to stop cruelty you'd have a better outcome than death

In America the reason game cocks are euthanized is because they were going to be killed by being pierced with sharp spurs if they were used in cockfighting.

Fair enough.

The humane society kill them by giving them a lethal injection into the breast. The game cock dies peacefully.

FFS DD educate yourself man.

Houston Animal something or other.

Yeah we watched that and had the very same reaction

• Like 1

In America the reason game cocks are euthanized is because they were going to be killed by being pierced with sharp spurs if they were used in cockfighting.

Fair enough.

The humane society kill them by giving them a lethal injection into the breast. The game cock dies peacefully.

In some counties owners make a living from keeping ,breeding & fighting their birds ,these people & their birds are looked upon with pride ,who are we to judge in the above case the birds ended up dead anyway.All over the world animals and birds are chased and hunted ,eg rabbits bolted to the lurcher,birds to the gun ,boar chased down by dogs .Before the ban hunters chased foxes with hounds ,all this was & still is quite acceptable practice in some counties and its fair to say all of the animals didn't die peacefully .

• Like 3

Fair enough.

In some counties owners make a living from keeping ,breeding & fighting their birds ,these people & their birds are looked upon with pride ,who are we to judge in the above case the birds ended up dead anyway.All over the world animals and birds are chased and hunted ,eg rabbits bolted to the lurcher,birds to the gun ,boar chased down by dogs .Before the ban hunters chased foxes with hounds ,all this was & still is quite acceptable practice in some counties and its fair to say all of the animals didn't die peacefully .
Would you keep chickens to lay eggs that are non layers?

No I certainly wouldnt ,& in the dog world there lies the problem ,years ago if a dog was bred and kept to do the job of filling the catch bag & it failed ,the owners didn't breed the damn thing ,they got rid of it .looking good meant nothing ,so to all those that are still working & testing their dogs I tip my hat to you sirs ......may it long continue .All over the world we dog workers & sports persons are getting hammered by good doers who have no life skills & think their meat just turns up to a butchers shop from outa space .we need to stand our ground .Enough is enough .FFs

Edited by toolebox
  • Like 4