Sign in to follow this  
belly47

Advice From .222 Shooters

my next decision is which ammo to try, I guess I will have to buy a few different types from what is available to me and do some tests.

these are prices from my two nearest gun shops

John Forsey

Norma. 62gr £27. for 20

Norma Vmax. 40gr £29. for 20

Federal tnt green. 53gr £28. for 20

Sako gamehead. 55gr. £22. for 20

Countryway

Hornady. 50gr £23.60. for 20

Winchester. 50gr. £16. for 20

let's hope the Winchester shoot the best!

Edited by belly47

Winchester are that price for a reason. Your gun might love them though so give them a go. Don't forget to give PPU softpoints a try also. Some guns love them and some don't but definitely got to be worth a try for the price.

Stick around 50grain or less. By all means try other weights but I bet you settle on 50 or less ☺️.

PPU definitely should be tried.

Well all I can say is my .22lr moderator stays on all the time without problems, a CF mod should be removed everytime, my first choice in ammo (although you must try a selection) would be Hornady, Sako, and Federal, my mates .222 hates winchester, but of course yours may love them, if yours likes Hornady, you will find them the most explosive :icon_eek: on foxes, literally, but as Underdog says, you will most likely settle for 50gn or less, the PPU may shoot well in your rifle, my .243 does not like them much, but I find them quite a hard bullet more suited to deer than fox, I would stick to something ballistic tipped, lights out every time.

Well all I can say is my .22lr moderator stays on all the time without problems, a CF mod should be removed everytime, my first choice in ammo (although you must try a selection) would be Hornady, Sako, and Federal, my mates .222 hates winchester, but of course yours may love them, if yours likes Hornady, you will find them the most explosive :icon_eek: on foxes, literally, but as Underdog says, you will most likely settle for 50gn or less, the PPU may shoot well in your rifle, my .243 does not like them much, but I find them quite a hard bullet more suited to deer than fox, I would stick to something ballistic tipped, lights out every time.

My LR mod stays on all the time too. They can.
  • Like 1

I collected my new rifle on Thursday evening!

tikka T3x in .222

nikko Stirling diamond lr scope

Stalon moderator

will hopefully be able to try it out over the weekend

20170810_214946.jpg

Looks grand.

Also looks too heavy for me but I am an old phart getting.

R. 👍

I collected my new rifle on Thursday evening!

tikka T3x in .222

nikko Stirling diamond lr scope

Stalon moderator

will hopefully be able to try it out over the weekend

20170810_214946.jpg

What's with the Easter egg and chocolate bunny???. Bit early init? :-)

If your tikka barrel is like mine was it won't need much cleaning!

The big concern is moisture, like bringing a cold rifle into home and condensation forms on it and the bore.

I run a loose patch through to remove any damp fouling after a few hours. As you know, there is no coating of bullet lube protecting the bore like a rim fire.

If there is a moderator store it muzzle down. Moderator's are water traps, from the combustion and rarely get hot enough to vape off.

I like the Forrest foam for cleaning the bore of copper fouling.

Externally I use my black powder patch lube. Candle wax and olive oil mixed together, nothing rusts coated in that.

U.

I always keep 3 or 4 of the Napier pads in the cabinet. Got that VP90 stuff in them that stops rust and corrosion.http://www.napieruk.com/acatalog/Super-VP90-Corrosion-Inhibitor-VP90_.html http://www.napieruk.com/acatalog/Super-VP90-Corrosion-Inhibitor-VP90_.html Don't know if it's all BS but I've never had any problems while I've been using them.
Have heard they work well myself.

I always wanted to fit a 12v bulb in my cabinet to created a gentle heat but never got around to it.

Not sure I'd recommend that. Fastest way to rot anything is moisture + heat.

If your tikka barrel is like mine was it won't need much cleaning!

The big concern is moisture, like bringing a cold rifle into home and condensation forms on it and the bore.

I run a loose patch through to remove any damp fouling after a few hours. As you know, there is no coating of bullet lube protecting the bore like a rim fire.

If there is a moderator store it muzzle down. Moderator's are water traps, from the combustion and rarely get hot enough to vape off.

I like the Forrest foam for cleaning the bore of copper fouling.

Externally I use my black powder patch lube. Candle wax and olive oil mixed together, nothing rusts coated in that.

U.

I always keep 3 or 4 of the Napier pads in the cabinet. Got that VP90 stuff in them that stops rust and corrosion.http://www.napieruk.com/acatalog/Super-VP90-Corrosion-Inhibitor-VP90_.html http://www.napieruk.com/acatalog/Super-VP90-Corrosion-Inhibitor-VP90_.html Don't know if it's all BS but I've never had any problems while I've been using them.
Have heard they work well myself.

I always wanted to fit a 12v bulb in my cabinet to created a gentle heat but never got around to it.

Not sure I'd recommend that. Fastest way to rot anything is moisture + heat.

Most cabinets are in cool areas of homes.

A gentle heat source will help prevent condensation.

If there is that much water vapour in a home that adding a small bulb causes corrosion then the whole house has major issues already!

• Like 1