Advice From .222 Shooters

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've done nearly that with factory ammo mate .Get whatever you want mate and don't listen to the boffins who wouldn't know a fox from a frog .

I'm a big fan of the 223 , I've got two one with a day scope and one with Night vision . If you have like you say done your research , and you believe that the 222 is the round for you , then fair eno

.222 is a fine choice, and did hold the world benchrest accuracy record in the 50s, my mate has a CZ 527 in .222 and with Rem accutip rounds it will group 1/2 inch at 175 yards, the .222 is far from a

I've got a tikka T3X lite on it's way to me next week!

Will let you know how I get on with it

Wise choice sir ☺️

thanks U

want to pick your brains with regards cleaning if I may as it will be my first centre fire .

what products to use? and what cleaning regime to use?

I have rimfires and have never cleaned the bores only give the barrel and action a wipe over with oil rag.

what would you suggest ?

If your tikka barrel is like mine was it won't need much cleaning!

The big concern is moisture, like bringing a cold rifle into home and condensation forms on it and the bore.

I run a loose patch through to remove any damp fouling after a few hours. As you know, there is no coating of bullet lube protecting the bore like a rim fire.

If there is a moderator store it muzzle down. Moderator's are water traps, from the combustion and rarely get hot enough to vape off.

I like the Forrest foam for cleaning the bore of copper fouling.

Externally I use my black powder patch lube. Candle wax and olive oil mixed together, nothing rusts coated in that.

U.

The big concern is moisture, like bringing a cold rifle into home and condensation forms on it and the bore.

I run a loose patch through to remove any damp fouling after a few hours. As you know, there is no coating of bullet lube protecting the bore like a rim fire.

If there is a moderator store it muzzle down. Moderator's are water traps, from the combustion and rarely get hot enough to vape off.

Externally I use my black powder patch lube. Candle wax and olive oil mixed together, nothing rusts coated in that.

U.

thanks for the advice

.222 wont need a great deal of cleaning, Tikka are an excellent rifle, well done, as Underdog says forest foam is good, just make sure you get a quality rod and brush, I would aim to clean it every 150 rounds or so, but I would not get overly worried about it, more rifles are ruined by over enthusiastic cleaning than anything else, my mates has not been cleaned for 10 years and it shoots half inch groups @ 175 yards. I would make sure whatever you do remove the moderator after every use, not doing so is the quickest way to rot the crown and bore on your rifle, I remove the mod every time on my .243 and it never loses zero, time after time, enjoy the .222 mate.

.222 wont need a great deal of cleaning, Tikka are an excellent rifle, well done, as Underdog says forest foam is good, just make sure you get a quality rod and brush, I would aim to clean it every 150 rounds or so, but I would not get overly worried about it, more rifles are ruined by over enthusiastic cleaning than anything else, my mates has not been cleaned for 10 years and it shoots half inch groups @ 175 yards. I would make sure whatever you do remove the moderator after every use, not doing so is the quickest way to rot the crown and bore on your rifle, I remove the mod every time on my .243 and it never loses zero, time after time, enjoy the .222 mate.

?

U.

I always keep 3 or 4 of the Napier pads in the cabinet. Got that VP90 stuff in them that stops rust and corrosion.http://www.napieruk.com/acatalog/Super-VP90-Corrosion-Inhibitor-VP90_.html http://www.napieruk.com/acatalog/Super-VP90-Corrosion-Inhibitor-VP90_.html Don't know if it's all BS but I've never had any problems while I've been using them.

U.

I always keep 3 or 4 of the Napier pads in the cabinet. Got that VP90 stuff in them that stops rust and corrosion.http://www.napieruk.com/acatalog/Super-VP90-Corrosion-Inhibitor-VP90_.html http://www.napieruk.com/acatalog/Super-VP90-Corrosion-Inhibitor-VP90_.html Don't know if it's all BS but I've never had any problems while I've been using them.
Have heard they work well myself.

I always wanted to fit a 12v bulb in my cabinet to created a gentle heat but never got around to it.

No a .22 or .17 hmr dont produce the kind of corrosive crap and moisture that a centerfire does.

Not quite buddy.

22 LR bullets are externally externally lubricated.

That lubricant coats the bore and protects from moisture.

Jacketed bullets don't carry lubricant so the bore is left dry except the fouling/ spot is hygroscopic. It absorbs moisture and that's what causes damage.

The moderator acts as a decompression chamber, the rapid decompression allows water vapour (present from combustion) to condense rapidly and so water drops can form in a mod.

Without and lubricant coating the muzzle and bore water from the mod can enter the bore.

This can happen on any rifle from LR up but the more powder burned the more potential for water released, the good news though is that the more powder burned the more heat is produced and often the water is vaporised off.

I.

• Like 1