Advice From .222 Shooters

Afternoon

I have just got my licence back from Kent police with my variation for .222 (my first centrefire)

What I'd like to know what rifles and ammunition you are using.

After doing loads of reading prior to putting in the variation I settled on the .222 for its accuracy at distance and it's capabilities for long range rabbits and crows and the fact that it can also drop foxes far beyond the range of my hmr and is all round more suitable for fox.

I've just been to a local gunshop and when I could finally get someone to acknowledge my existence, I said I wanted to talk about what rifles and ammo was available from them in .222, the first words that came out was "get it off ya ticket and get a 223"

I said but can you get .222 rifles to which he said "well yes I can but why have a dying calibre anyway" at this point I left as he was one obnoxious ****.

Now I've read all the stuff about it being not so popular these days but as said earlier in seemed to tick the right boxes for the shooting I do. There are no deer on my permissions.

Have I made a mistake? Should I vary my licence for .223?

Look forward to any assistance you can give me

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've done nearly that with factory ammo mate .Get whatever you want mate and don't listen to the boffins who wouldn't know a fox from a frog .

I'm a big fan of the 223 , I've got two one with a day scope and one with Night vision . If you have like you say done your research , and you believe that the 222 is the round for you , then fair eno

.222 is a fine choice, and did hold the world benchrest accuracy record in the 50s, my mate has a CZ 527 in .222 and with Rem accutip rounds it will group 1/2 inch at 175 yards, the .222 is far from a

Lots of people prefer the 222 to the 223. They do pretty much the same thing, but the only difference is there is a lot more choice and availability in 223 ammo. Something you wouldn't need to worry about if you reload.

I can't give you specifics as I've got a 223, but if I had a 222 I wouldn't bother changing it for the small difference. :thumbs:

I'm a big fan of the 223 , I've got two one with a day scope and one with Night vision . If you have like you say done your research , and you believe that the 222 is the round for you , then fair enough, ignore the rude tosser in the gun shop . You will still find a good choice of new and used 222 around , try Guntrader.com . The 223 is a more popular round and therefore you will find more choice in both guns and ammo . In reality there isn't a lot in it between the two and I know plenty who love the 222 . Where I would spend money would be on the glass , get as good a scope as you can afford. All the best and I'm sure you will enjoy using the 222 a great little round that is devastating on fox .

• Like 2

Lots of people prefer the 222 to the 223. They do pretty much the same thing, but the only difference is there is a lot more choice and availability in 223 ammo. Something you wouldn't need to worry about if you reload.

I can't give you specifics as I've got a 223, but if I had a 222 I wouldn't bother changing it for the small difference. :thumbs:

thanks for your reply, I like the idea of re loading but know little about it. only what I've read online and a few video's on you tube, looks a bit daunting to a novice. Was initially planning on using factory ammo and in time consider rolling my own once I've saved up again for all the equipment needed Edited by belly47

You can always try it and if it doesn't meet your expectations, try another round . I'm looking at getting a Tac 20 . Will I kill more foxes ? Who knows, but it will be fun trying, and that's what it's all about isn't it ?

Edited by shovel leaner

thanks for your reply, I like the idea of re loading but know little about it. only what I've read online and a few video's on you tube, looks a bit daunting to a novice. Was initially planning on using factory ammo and in time consider rolling my own once I've saved up again for all the equipment needed

I'm not saying you'd have to reload for general shooting as there is a fair bit of ammo out there, just if you wanted or needed something a bit out of the ordinary.

As above, forget that knob in the gunshop and fill your boots.

I still shoot a .222 and swear by it, ok I home load but you still have enough factory ammo around to choose from..........If you are lucky your rifle might like PPU and at £12.50 a box you can't go wrong

Hi:

.222 is ok it's just about identical to the .223, in fact if I gave one of each the only way you could tell the difference would be to look at the headstamp on the case.

Anyway you have been a bit misguided, in that new .222 rifles are practically non existent, only Anschutz and some older Tikka & Sako's are worth the looking at (although a decent Parker Hale maybe available).

Anyway, my advice for what that's worth? Change to a .223 or 22.250 (Best choice, again my choice).

.223 & 22.250 plenty of decent factory ammo with a choice of bullet weight etc.

Good luck!

AF

Hi:

.222 is ok it's just about identical to the .223, in fact if I gave one of each the only way you could tell the difference would be to look at the headstamp on the case.

Anyway you have been a bit misguided, in that new .222 rifles are practically non existent, only Anschutz and some older Tikka & Sako's are worth the looking at (although a decent Parker Hale maybe available).

Anyway, my advice for what that's worth? Change to a .223 or 22.250 (Best choice, again my choice).

.223 & 22.250 plenty of decent factory ammo with a choice of bullet weight etc.

Good luck!

AF

Ive just looked on Guntrader and seen new Blasers , tikka , Sako , and Anshutz .

Ive just looked on Guntrader and seen new Blasers , tikka , Sako , and Anshutz .

Yes muppet apart from Blazer @ £750+

Get a decent used Remy or Ruger in 223 or 22.250, I have a Ruger #1 22.250 it's a tack driver on reloads.

AF

I don't understand what you mean , perhaps it's just me being a "muppet" . In a previous post I said that there was plenty of choice of new and used . 222 rifles around . Look on guntrader , 102 at the moment. They range from £200 CZ Brno's to new Blasers , plenty out there .