Suicide Question ......

the only time ive ever been close to a suicide was my grandad . My Nan was blind and deaf for majority of her life but never let it stop her doing what she wanted to do . She simply adapted her house and life to make it easier for her . My grandad has only had 1 leg since he was 16 after a shotgun accident as a kid . He used to use his wheelchair when we went on holiday with my nan pushing and him directing her . They were a amazing team who lived life to the full . Obviously my grandad spent all of his married life looking after my nan . When he got up till the time he went to bed his life was my nan , every day of every year for 50 years . When she died he was left on his own and he couldnt deal without my nan. They lived in a house extension next to my parents so he had them around every day checking on him and cooking him food but that wasnt enough . He started drinking more and more whiskey (he was never a drinker) against the wishes of my mother but he was a grown man with his own free will and he did it anyway . He didnt have the reason to focus each day like when my nan was around at 80 he didnt want anything else . Id go see him and he was so lost without her it was painfull to watch and spend time with him . As horrible as it sounds and it probably is horrible i dont know but at that time part of me wished he had gone the same time as my nan . It was like they were both on their life together and after she died he was just left behind kicking his heels not sure what to do with his life . After a while even tho everybody was around all the time for him he tried hooking himself up to the house electric to kill himself . Luckily for all of us it didnt work . He was just a bit fried and f****d up . He went to hospital and i think some sort of mental health place to assess his mental state . He absolutly hated it there beyond anything hes every experienced and cried when they brought him back to his house . He now still drinks whisky loads but is happy to just be carriyng on with his life drinking whiskey and watching westerns and general crap tv every day . Thanks to his failed attempt as suicide hes seen my 2 children and more importantly for me my 2 kids have seen him . They go round all the time to say hello and for that im very gratefull . Both my grandparents were big part of my lives and im just glad that my kids managed to see one of them and will remember one of them .

If someone is hell bent on killing themselves they will do it . Their no stopping them . But if you stopped one 50 people and 1 of them turned their life around and never tried again it would be worth the effort the other 49 times . Lots regret it afterwards and if you seen someone triyng you owe it to their family to try stop them .

• Like 9

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Im reading this and really trying not to reply the way I want to,for ive a sister thats clinically depressed,schizophrenic, and just down right messed up since she reached 23....before that...a perfec

Without going into to much detail the wife had a breakdown some years ago ,any suggestion of a doctor was treated as an admission of guilt on her part,until a major episode led to her going to see the

suicide is a permanant solution to a temporary problem.

Posted Images

Interesting topic, My job as a rail incident officer means I attend the aftermath of suicides it's not pleasant as you can imagine we are sent on courses by the samaritans and part of the course encourages you to make the Suicidal person emotionally sick talk about it spill the beans about their problems ect if we get the chance to intervene, the course is called managing suicidal contacts.

We get lots of screamers and shouters who get sectioned the quite ones bang they just do it no messing about.

But in answering your question I would intervene every time it's human instinct, research says that the suicidal thoughts last about thirty minutes and if you can talk them out of it in that time it could make a difference I'm not an an expert but who knows what goes on in their minds, it's hard too imagine if your life is ok.

i bet there bad railway suicides.

Theres a train track that runs past our local pub, and one night a lad out of my year at school was having a normal night and after a few beers started rowing with his misses anyway he eventually gets up the embankment to the track and tells her hes going to top his self, a train eventually comes he steps onto the track and crosses over to the other side. mission accomplashed scares the shit out of his misses, as the train goes on its way he he decides to cross back over and smack gets hit by a freight train coming the other way. sad way for a 17 year old kid to go. infront of a audience aswell.

the only time ive ever been close to a suicide was my grandad . My Nan was blind and deaf for majority of her life but never let it stop her doing what she wanted to do . She simply adapted her house and life to make it easier for her . My grandad has only had 1 leg since he was 16 after a shotgun accident as a kid . He used to use his wheelchair when we went on holiday with my nan pushing and him directing her . They were a amazing team who lived life to the full . Obviously my grandad spent all of his married life looking after my nan . When he got up till the time he went to bed his life was my nan , every day of every year for 50 years . When she died he was left on his own and he couldnt deal without my nan. They lived in a house extension next to my parents so he had them around every day checking on him and cooking him food but that wasnt enough . He started drinking more and more whiskey (he was never a drinker) against the wishes of my mother but he was a grown man with his own free will and he did it anyway . He didnt have the reason to focus each day like when my nan was around at 80 he didnt want anything else . Id go see him and he was so lost without her it was painfull to watch and spend time with him . As horrible as it sounds and it probably is horrible i dont know but at that time part of me wished he had gone the same time as my nan . It was like they were both on their life together and after she died he was just left behind kicking his heels not sure what to do with his life . After a while even tho everybody was around all the time for him he tried hooking himself up to the house electric to kill himself . Luckily for all of us it didnt work . He was just a bit fried and f****d up . He went to hospital and i think some sort of mental health place to assess his mental state . He absolutly hated it there beyond anything hes every experienced and cried when they brought him back to his house . He now still drinks whisky loads but is happy to just be carriyng on with his life drinking whiskey and watching westerns and general crap tv every day . Thanks to his failed attempt as suicide hes seen my 2 children and more importantly for me my 2 kids have seen him . They go round all the time to say hello and for that im very gratefull . Both my grandparents were big part of my lives and im just glad that my kids managed to see one of them and will remember one of them .

If someone is hell bent on killing themselves they will do it . Their no stopping them . But if you stopped one 50 people and 1 of them turned their life around and never tried again it would be worth the effort the other 49 times . Lots regret it afterwards and if you seen someone triyng you owe it to their family to try stop them .

very sad thread mate, but i think you bit unfair on your grandad . My mom died 1st at 77 , and left my dad on his own, it broke his heart being left on his own , he told me many a time he wished he could have gone 1st, instead of mom.The last 10 years of the marriage was bad , they didnt get on and my mom was fed up with him, looking back it was my mom who was the strong one in the marriage not him , with his feckin moaning etc .But after 55 years of marriage any person will feel lost on there own, even after 10-20 years . there not many people today who can really say there are really happy in there relationship sometimes you just end up going through the motions . My dad died at 85 he lived another 7 years after my mom, ok he had us around him 5 kids=adults , and he did start to try to pick him self up a bit, the last 3 years i used go have a pint with once a week and have a sandwich and chat, but i knew in is heart he was lonely , he missed m y mom , same as your grandad , loneliness is a terrible place to be in fact , there must fair few on net :yes:

very sad thread mate, but i think you bit unfair on your grandad . My mom died 1st at 77 , and left my dad on his own, it broke his heart being left on his own , he told me many a time he wished he could have gone 1st, instead of mom.The last 10 years of the marriage was bad , they didnt get on and my mom was fed up with him, looking back it was my mom who was the strong one in the marriage not him , with his feckin moaning etc .But after 55 years of marriage any person will feel lost on there own, even after 10-20 years . there not many people today who can really say there are really happy in there relationship sometimes you just end up going through the motions . My dad died at 85 he lived another 7 years after my mom, ok he had us around him 5 kids=adults , and he did start to try to pick him self up a bit, the last 3 years i used go have a pint with once a week and have a sandwich and chat, but i knew in is heart he was lonely , he missed m y mom , same as your grandad , loneliness is a terrible place to be in fact , there must fair few on net :yes:

What do you mean by unfair?

I do a bit of work in old people's homes. To see some of them poor cnuts slumped in chairs all day....17 year old care workers talking to em like shite. Think if I was in that position I'd hoard tablets and choose when I go.

Edited by DIDO.1

I do a bit of work in old people's homes. To see some of them poor cnuts slumped in chairs all day....17 year old care workers talking to em like shite. Think if I was in that position I'd hoard tablets and choose when I go.

Reflection of your society a very poor reflection.

• Like 1

I found a guy hanging from a fallen willow , it was only low and he'd chucked a rope over one branch and stepped off . He was surrounded by cattle who were all butting him around and he was swinging back and forth covered in cow snot . He was obviously dead so I called plod . I went home and thought about it and thought "selfish cnut " . I later heard his story . He'd just been made redundant , his Mrs was leaving him for his best mate , who incidentally he had just found out had fathered the boy who he had brought up for 20 years thinking was his . He was also going into hospital to have his one remaining leg removed because of diabetes. Enough to push anyone over the edge don't you think ? One of the saddest things I've ever heard.

Women up here stepped in front of a train.which in itself is bad.should not involve anyone else in you're demise.

However she knew exactly what she was doing! The train was driven by her husband!

Nothing like a women scorned!

but it's a society you have chosen to come and live in mate so what does it say for the one you left behind ??? Better or worse
  • Like 1

As a little aside on this grizzly subject, a life long friend of mine who was a member on here before I joined, by the name of Dave Thomas he had a very hard and quite well known black terrier called solo, he lived on a canal boat on the sharpness canal for a few years before moving back into a house some of you may have known Dave and wondered what happened to him well I was in a pub having an after work pint with him around two years back and when we parted and went home he put a rope around a roof truss around his neck and jumped down the stairs to his death

Interesting topic, My job as a rail incident officer means I attend the aftermath of suicides it's not pleasant as you can imagine we are sent on courses by the samaritans and part of the course encourages you to make the Suicidal person emotionally sick talk about it spill the beans about their problems ect if we get the chance to intervene, the course is called managing suicidal contacts.

We get lots of screamers and shouters who get sectioned the quite ones bang they just do it no messing about.

But in answering your question I would intervene every time it's human instinct, research says that the suicidal thoughts last about thirty minutes and if you can talk them out of it in that time it could make a difference I'm not an an expert but who knows what goes on in their minds, it's hard too imagine if your life is ok.

I knew a bloke who did just that... He split with his bird so ran head first into a HST... Very selfish on many levels but definitely not a cry for help.

I've known 4 people who have killed themselves. 2 hung themselves and two others jumped in front of a train. Only one had previous mental health issues, the rest were out of the blue. I also work with 2 different lads that have had brothers that have killed themselves.

Strange thing is depression, hits different people in different ways. To do that they must be in a really bad place. I wouldn't say it's selfish as who know's what they're thinking?

• Like 4

To a sane person it may seem selfish ,but for the poor f****r suffering depression he's doing everyone a favour ,he has no self esteem ,no ego ,no sense of worth ,the thought that anyone would be upset or even notice his death is alien to him . A last minute intervention could just kindle the thought that he matters ,that with help he might be worthwhile ,its a no brainer ,everyone should offer a helping hand to those who need it .

• Like 7

Nearly a year ago friend of mine hung himself he was in and out of hospital for years with psychotic episodes just been diagnosed with paranoid schizophrenia couldn't handle it the standard of care and support when he went home each time was pathetic in the year leading up to it I never thought he'd do that I thought he'd turned a corner up until then I knew the call could come anytime. He was an extremely troubled young man who I could never see leading a normal life to start I wished he'd of text me in the morning instead of his mum could of been there in 5 mins but now.....now I'm happy knowing his not suffering anymore I've got our memory's together and he has his peace in his circumstances I don't find it selfish at all.

Another lad locally two kids and a missus she left him he hung himself his pal got there and cut him down and for want of a better word he's a vegetable for the rest of his life now how do to think his pal feels about that

but it's a society you have chosen to come and live in mate so what does it say for the one you left behind ??? Better or worse
He's right though, its a very poor reflection..