6 replies to this topic

#1 Feltwad

Feltwad

Born Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 20 July 2017 - 10:41 am

It seems this year has been  a good breeding year for jackdaws,there is flocks of 100 plus and they have been given the barley more than usual   damage , a large flock  can clean off many square yards  if not disturbed .When shooting them they are easy to decoy  with dead birds but they will swoop in in batches of 20 plus making difficult shots  has to which one to shoot. Is this problem country wide or is it to just certain areas .I would say that the rise in the jackdaw population is mostly due to the mild winters.

Feltwad

#2 buckshot

buckshot

Subscribed Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 934 posts

Posted 20 July 2017 - 02:45 pm

seen a load yesterday dropping in a wheat field, tjey hammering it :yes: 

#3 sussex

sussex

Extreme Hunter

• Donator
  • 4,039 posts

Posted 20 July 2017 - 07:25 pm

We have got hundreds apon hundreds along with thousands of there black cousins, they start of decoying fairly easily but soon wise up , one or two shots and they are gone . The pheasants are out to wood so there's plenty of food , the ducks have just gone out which means more food not to mention the cover crops which they have fcuking wrecked ...I've been chasing them for weeks ..

#4 Feltwad

Feltwad

Born Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 20 July 2017 - 07:53 pm

We have got hundreds apon hundreds along with thousands of there black cousins, they start of decoying fairly easily but soon wise up , one or two shots and they are gone . The pheasants are out to wood so there's plenty of food , the ducks have just gone out which means more food not to mention the cover crops which they have fcuking wrecked ...I've been chasing them for weeks ..

Have you tried a crow trap where they are feeding bait it with bread once one is in others will follow  you can catch  a lot which can 100+ or nothing  always remember it must be visited at least once a day 

Feltwad

#5 bell

bell

Extreme Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,631 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 08:39 am

A lot about this year, few less now.  Went old school on them with an old Webley :victory:

Attached File  jackdaws.JPG   167.05KB   2 downloads

• cragman, mackem and sussex like this

#6 Feltwad

Feltwad

Born Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 04:04 pm

A lot about this year, few less now.  Went old school on them with an old Webley :victory:

attachicon.gifjackdaws.JPG

Good keep up the good work  there is still plenty left 

Feltwad

#7 littlegee1988

littlegee1988

Rookie Hunter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 23 July 2017 - 10:02 pm

They have decimated all of the song bird nests in my garden this year we'll jackdaws and the odd magpie and they plague my feeder, they can eat a feeder full with 5 fatballs in a matter of hours, they really are the thorn in my side lately!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users