Lurcher Pups Food

That's true but most dogs don't do well on milk and here's why ......

Without the abundance of the enzyme lactase that breaks down sugars in milk, adult dogs can have a more difficult time digesting it. The lactose found in milk will pass through their GI tracts and into their colons undigested, and this undigested sugar will draw water into the colon causing diarrhea, and the fermentation of bacteria in their colon may result in flatulence and discomfort. “Due to the deficient levels of lactase, milk ingestion can lead to GI upset including diarrhea and vomiting,” says Liff. “Additionally, whole fat milk or other dairy products may contain too much fat and can also lead to diarrhea and vomiting too.” Dogs may also develop a potentially serious disease called pancreatitis if they eat dairy products—particularly high fat dairy products—that are unfamiliar to them

Also there is a lot less lactose in goats milk which makes it much easier on the dogs digestive system ........

• Like 1

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

i usually get a bag of beta puppy and some raw mince chicken. i also like to feed them as much of a variety of other foods as i can just to try and prevent a fussy adult dog.

Full fat cows milk is no good for any dogs as they are lactose intolerant ... full fat goats milk is fine ......

Vitamin E is predominantly fish but fish oil also contains large doses of Vit A which if to much can cause liver problems and can weaken bones,. D is an additive and natural from the Sun. In a winter

Posted Images

How many dogs drink full fat milk regular? Alot. Never heard of any dog get pancreatitis through dairy. I guess it's the same as they say garlic and tomatoes are supposedly toxic but alot of people feed those regular including me. They ain't made of glass.

I know their not made of glass but there's no need to feed full fat cows milk when goats milk is easier for their digestive system ... anyway it doesn't matter people will feed their dogs what they want to .......

I don't know anything about rearing dogs so this is prob stupid question, but I'm just interested.

Why would you need to give a weaned pup Cow or any other mammals milk?

Surely once they're old enough to be away from the mother, then they're off the breast and on to normal food a bit mashed up?

Milk feed weaned pups is not to replace the mother’s milk. It’s just another food that has calcium in it. I have been told that greyhound trainers also use kelp powder.

All dogs need calcium when they are young to build up a bone structure. But real care needs to be taken with running dogs to make sure they get enough calcium because their bones need to be able to withstand incredible forces day after day. If a Pug has a slightly weakened bones that's not a problem - in a running dog its a nightmare.

So many better alternatives to milk for calcium.

It's not great for dogs the same way it's not great for people

1 simple sugars similar to sweets or chocolate, hence why some use as a recovery drink with protein cos it goes in system quick.

2 unwanted growth hormones meant for calves or men who want bitch tits

3 awesome for diabetes and obesity when people think their getting something healthy cos calcium gets mentioned

• Like 1

Milk has alot more to offer then just calcium the sugar in chocolate and raw milk can't be compared one Is natural and the other has been tampered with. You mention bitch tits I drink more than a pint of milk most days and I'm fit with no bitch tits thank you hahaha

My pup has had a drink of half strength Lamlac everyday since I brought him home on top of the raw food he gets everyday. He's never had the shits from half strength, tried full strength for a couple of days and it did become very soft.

I do make sure he gets 20% bone everyday. He's becoming a solid built dog

Cows milk certainly gave mine the shits,he had cheap basics pork and beef mince bought frozen from supermarket, that was thawed in puppy milk, he always had a rabbit to chew on and always water and eukanuba puppy.

Now 64lbs on lunatic :)

post-102006-0-48504600-1500626520.jpg

post-102006-0-06280500-1500626746.jpg

ive never bothered giving a pup milk once they are 8 weeks old. on the odd ocassion ive had a litter of pups ive always give the bitch a pint of milk daily whilst shes got pups on her. ive always thought a bitch does that little bit better with it.

I agree, milk is a brilliant food. Its been used by humans almost as long as we have had running dogs siting by our side.

However, if you own a 8 week old running dog and are a hippy, vegan, or just anti-milk; or if the puppy has a milk intolerance, make sure you give it enough calcium in another form - bone, supplements etc. If you don't you will increase the risk of fractures and other bone issues over the dog’s lifetime. It's just an increased risk rather than a 100% certainty so you might get away with it. It is probably more important to focus on calcium if you have a puppy with a lot of greyhound it in and it will be out and about every day......And before someone says that back in the day they great granny had a champion dog that was just fed on offal and potato skins its worth remembering that back in the day most lame dogs were just shot.

• Like 1