Lurcher Pups Food

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

i usually get a bag of beta puppy and some raw mince chicken. i also like to feed them as much of a variety of other foods as i can just to try and prevent a fussy adult dog.

Full fat cows milk is no good for any dogs as they are lactose intolerant ... full fat goats milk is fine ......

Vitamin E is predominantly fish but fish oil also contains large doses of Vit A which if to much can cause liver problems and can weaken bones,. D is an additive and natural from the Sun. In a winter

Posted Images

Raw chicken thighs, beef, pork, boiled veg and raw pig fat along with full fat milk. That's what mine gets anyway along with rabbit if you feed rabbit make sure you add fat as rabbit is very lean. If cost is a issue get down to the butchers and ask to have a look through the bin

Try and stay away from kibble and feed little and often, raw food is best as cooking takes out vital vitamins.

My puppy's would get top quality beef,lamb chicken and turkey all minced very finely and you can make it more coarse as they get older, 7-8% of their body weight is a good starting point as you don't want to over feed them and have problems with bloating.

Raw chicken thighs, beef, pork, boiled veg and raw pig fat along with full fat milk. That's what mine gets anyway along with rabbit if you feed rabbit make sure you add fat as rabbit is very lean. If cost is a issue get down to the butchers and ask to have a look through the bin

Bang on that! Get to the right butchers and you get plenty of chicken carcass cheap enough I picked 3 10kg boxes of carcass, good quality stuff for £6. I also feed beef rabbit venison. Pile all the goodness into it you can afford to spend. You only get one chance to fetch a pup on.

I don't think feeding barf is hard as the aim is balance overtime so if a dog doesn't get bone, fat or veg one day just give them a bit more the next. Not all meals need to be 10% organ 10% veg and 20% bone as some would have you believe.

• Like 1

Don’t forget about calcium. Running dogs really do need calcium for their first few years. Some of the problems with running dogs that don’t reach their potential is, I think, to do with slightly underdeveloped bones as a result of calcium deficiency in early life. Running dogs bones are under very different stress than all other dogs including other ‘working’ dogs simply because of the speed they run at.

There is not a lot of calcium in raw meat and vegetables. Not sure how much calcium is in puppy food.

To get calcium into them give them goat’s milk – goat’s milk is better because some dogs can’t digests cow’s milk.

Sorry mate its wasn't a dig at all - Raw chicken thighs, beef, pork, boiled veg and raw pig fat along with full fat milk - is about as good as it gets. And I agree with you about what they eat in a given day is not that important but diet over a period is.

I was just highlighting the need for calcium to rabbitman1234567 and his 8 week old pup. I think that the best way of making sure this is absorbed in a pup is through milk but I am sure the right kind of bone works well.

That depends on the dogs as if a animal is lactose intolerant it cannot digest lactose which results in runny poo. My pup get about half a litre of full fat milk fresh from my cows everyday and her poo is firm and consistent therefore she's not lactose intolerant but certain individuals may be. The only way is to try and find out.