Sign in to follow this  
Rusty_terrier

Strengthen Loft Floor

If theres solid walls down below attic i would put a timber beam in,ie.flitch beam, which is made up of 2 lenghts of 9x2 with 18 ml rip of ply inbetween them,running from gable to gable or wall plate to wall plate both sides.you can then pack up off solid wall under neam to stop sagging.once thats fixed and parrelleled hang joist hangers from beams centred at 400 ml and use 7x2s as joists.

Some insulation inbetween and then your ready to floor.

That means your new floor is independant,& your not walking on ceiling joists which will crack the plaster in time.better job in the long run.

Just finished one last week using steel pics attached

good job and advice dd, you a joiner yourself?[/quot

Ye len time served carpenter,working mainly converting attics at the moment.

Few recent jobs there to give an idea of how they work,very easily doable.

post-45593-0-88701200-1501187864_thumb.jpg

post-45593-0-34756100-1501187893_thumb.jpg

post-45593-0-82084200-1501187933_thumb.jpg

post-45593-0-09062200-1501187958_thumb.jpg

post-45593-0-51069800-1501187992_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

If theres solid walls down below attic i would put a timber beam in,ie.flitch beam, which is made up of 2 lenghts of 9x2 with 18 ml rip of ply inbetween them,running from gable to gable or wall plate to wall plate both sides.you can then pack up off solid wall under neam to stop sagging.once thats fixed and parrelleled hang joist hangers from beams centred at 400 ml and use 7x2s as joists.

Some insulation inbetween and then your ready to floor.

That means your new floor is independant,& your not walking on ceiling joists which will crack the plaster in time.better job in the long run.

Just finished one last week using steel pics attached

good job and advice dd, you a joiner yourself?[/quot

Ye len time served carpenter,working mainly converting attics at the moment.

Few recent jobs there to give an idea of how they work,very easily doable.

same here mate done a fair few myself, on the timber frames at the min

After advise from you boys I just out a strap between beams and floored small section for storage and stuck a folding ladder in the hatch. Won't be walking about on it alot etc. Also made a balls up of my bathroom this weekend I'll post it up later

Sorry to pit a downer on anyones building dreams but all this work requires building control sign off or you can't legally sell your house. IT'S NOT THERE TO OBSTRUCT ANYONE rather to guide the house holder ,builder and provide the work is carried out properly to guidelines concerning weight loads and materials used .Any internal change of use requires building control as does any external works concerning enlargement, improvement bar garden sheds.