Sign in to follow this  
Rusty_terrier

Strengthen Loft Floor

Got quite a big loft and plan on flooring my and sheeting the walls and maybe having a small velux put in. It will mostly be used as storage but I'm thinking about making a bit into a small room with a dartboard and tv. Question is I know on proper loft conversions joists are strengthen and maybe extra joists added if I'm not mistaken. As this won't be used regularly or have loads of weight or furniture was thinking about just adding extra wood strapping between the joists joining them and spreading the load of weight so to speak. Is this the right idea anybody done it and done it a different way.

Edited by Rusty_terrier

If you put a velux in watch out incase someone phones planning people and they want to know if you got planning(not sure if you need it)

Put a few noggins between the existing joists. Really spreads the load. You don't need planning permission for a standard velux. Just had one installed.

Put a few noggins between the existing joists. Really spreads the load. You don't need planning permission for a standard velux. Just had one installed.

Aye that's what I was planning. Is that strong enough for occasional use ? If you don't mind me asking is it pricey getting a velux fitted as that's the only thing I wouldn't attempt myself.

Aye that's what I was planning. Is that strong enough for occasional use ? If you don't mind me asking is it pricey getting a velux fitted as that's the only thing I wouldn't attempt myself.

Obviously it all depends on what you mean by occasional use. You might be a big heffalump who likes tap dancing, :laugh: I'd imagine your original joists are at least 4x2, so yes.

My velux was a 980 x 780. Not sure of the model though. It was about 6 or £700 fitted.

Obviously it all depends on what you mean by occasional use. You might be a big heffalump who likes tap dancing, :laugh: I'd imagine your original joists are at least 4x2, so yes.

My velux was a 980 x 780. Not sure of the model though. It was about 6 or £700 fitted.

Tap dancing using my weights bench , trampoline and carpet bowls up there Lol it's really just for storing baby stuff and maybe having dartboard and tv so I've a place to go if I have 1 or 2 mates round to watch sports so we are not making noise downstairs if the baby is asleep.

Tap dancing using my weights bench , trampoline and carpet bowls up there Lol it's really just for storing baby stuff and maybe having dartboard and tv so I've a place to go if I have 1 or 2 mates round to watch sports so we are not making noise downstairs if the baby is asleep.

• Like 1

If theres solid walls down below attic i would put a timber beam in,ie.flitch beam, which is made up of 2 lenghts of 9x2 with 18 ml rip of ply inbetween them,running from gable to gable or wall plate to wall plate both sides.you can then pack up off solid wall under neam to stop sagging.once thats fixed and parrelleled hang joist hangers from beams centred at 400 ml and use 7x2s as joists.

Some insulation inbetween and then your ready to floor.

That means your new floor is independant,& your not walking on ceiling joists which will crack the plaster in time.better job in the long run.

Just finished one last week using steel pics attached

post-45593-0-45897800-1500402684_thumb.jpg

post-45593-0-53284300-1500402718_thumb.jpg

post-45593-0-81434500-1500402740_thumb.jpg

post-45593-0-74732100-1500402760_thumb.jpg

post-45593-0-01419400-1500402775_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Looks good mate. I'll gey a few pics of the lofts current condition tomorrow see what folk think needs doing .

If theres solid walls down below attic i would put a timber beam in,ie.flitch beam, which is made up of 2 lenghts of 9x2 with 18 ml rip of ply inbetween them,running from gable to gable or wall plate to wall plate both sides.you can then pack up off solid wall under neam to stop sagging.once thats fixed and parrelleled hang joist hangers from beams centred at 400 ml and use 7x2s as joists.

That means your new floor is independant,& your not walking on ceiling joists which will crack the plaster in time.better job in the long run.

This is the way to go. Two or three blokes,baby stuff and a dart board is asking for trouble.
  • Like 1

Make sure your joists are big enough , a mate of mine did his and never beefed the joists up, when you were inside the loft it was ok but when you were in the room below, the celing was bouncing up and down like a trampoline

good job and advice dd, you a joiner yourself?

• Confused 1

ya can also double up your joists before flooring, and also double up your rafters that's gona be holding your velux, make sure your joists are supported by the walls below or your ceilings will look like a boomerang. also if your making and fitting your stairs, double up the joist that's gona be carrying the stairs aswell, if its just floored storage. if its going through building control then its costly and done properly. don't forget smoke alarms that defo work and try make sure you have a fire escape plan in place if the worst ever happened