How Important Are Working Parents?

Evening folks, looking into getting a either a pure whippet or a whippet x collie or similar. A few questions as I have been around pet dogs all my life, but this would be my first working lurcher. Is this a good first dog to start with? Also thinking of getting a bitch, my experience with my mums corgis is that the dogs are a bit daft and switched off, and the bitches are more sharp and intelligent, is this the case with lurchers?

Ideally will be used for:

a bit of lamping

general mooching/bushing

(just the dog and me, is that possible?) also for retrieving shot pigeons/rabbits with the air rifle.

starting to look at pups, a big question I have is, how important is it for a dog that will be used for this kind of work to come from working parents? Like what does that kind of breeding do for the following generation? Will it be noticeable for me? I don't need a dog that will catch a million rabbits a night or go working everyday of the year, will I manage with a dog from pet dog parents?

All the online ads my wife is pointing out possible pups mostly come from pet homes. If it's important, any one know of any litters around at the moment from good breeders?

This might be a bit cheeky but any of you kind folks in Gloucestershire /Oxfordshire area able to take me out and show me the ropes?

Thanks in advance for your help guys.

Brecon3

So it is pretty important then? Any example of folk who have used both (success or fail)?

Also any more on the breed for a first lurcher? Obviously guys bowing to your greater experience to help me avoid a few mistakes...

get from good working parents and it will increase your chances of having a good working dog. then its all about you putting the time in and entering correctly. dont rush it! going by what ive read on here for a good first dog for what your looking for woukd be a beddy whippet or a beggy whippet grey. all the best

• Like 2

No guarantees either way ,but I'd hedge my bets and pick a pup from parents doing what I want the pup to do. But breeding, a lot of the time, starts with a ex-track greyhound and a farm/pet collie and depending what you expect ,can do a job.

But I'd sooner go for something a few generations and reap someone's hard work.

• Like 4

How important are working parents....to the working dog man/woman I believe it's every thing or should be tbh I personally my self if I was in the market to buy a pup in for work I'd personally not even sniff anything that's not bred out of anything were the sire An dam haven't done 5-6seasons work An bred for the right reasons and being good at what there used for. That's my own personal opinion but there's still no guarantees on nothing with lurchers it's all a short straws game

• Like 1

If I was buying a pup I'd want to now both perants were working hard. then its down to training and conditioning like most thinks with any dogs racing pigeons game birds breeding is as important as the massive amount of work put in if you want the best out of them

• Like 1

Although i always like to have a dog bred from 100% grafting parents I have own pretty decent dogs that have either came from two none grafters or one of the parents have been good worker the other hasn't done much I've also have good dogs from parents that have jacked I'm not Gona lie I'd stick a pound to penny there's plenty of dogs out there that have been produced from not so good dogs but no body will admit it cause they don't want to be scorned at by others but if the dog does what you want then who cares in all honesty

• Like 1

Where I live and grew up are a lot of rabbits and you may (or may not) be supprised to hear that EVERY single dog that I have seen in my area will chase rabbits no matter what the breed. All dogs chase rabbits.

If you want your dog to chase rabbits then basically all you need is A DOG. If you want your dog to catch rabbits then all you need is A FAST DOG.

Yes you increase your chances of having a dog that will literally work 24/7 by choosing a dog from working parents but if it's just a bit of lamping that you wanna do then you'll do well with a good Ped Whippet or Beddy Grey etc (Regardless of breeding).

Thousands of years of selective breeding to 'chase' will not be lost just because 1 or 2 generations were not used as workers

The graft is in the 'nurture' that you provide and you get out what you put in. All the best

BBB

Edited by Blueboybilly
  • Like 3

you could be lucky by taking a pet and showing it work it might work for you or you could get a pup from workers and lift your chances greatly that you will end up with a worker.

you could be lucky by taking a pet and showing it work it might work for you or you could get a pup from workers and lift your chances greatly that you will end up with a worker.

true :thumbs: funny thing is , just spoke to a bloke about my 2 dogs, both are 1xs , i told him that the 1x is your start of you lurcher line, you breed of them to another dog and so forth, and it goes from there, and you end up with luck good proven dogs to do what you want . i told him a good x is 2nd gen bred 1xs , ive seen few pitx greys bred this way a bloke had nice bitch this x about 24in 60 odd lb and racey caught load of stuff with it . :yes: