Starting To Get Them Ready

Ready for what? Rosette hunting? It's the 7th of f***ing July not the 7th of November.. 4 months away & still the same old shite I see,aye I'm a miserable b*****d but for fucks sake boys..yeah you must be boys give things a chance will you..

I agree with yea fuji i do not hunt in the closed season.So i think you like me have a bit of age and should know that 16 weeks is roughly what it takes to get a dog ready.These dogs have lay around for over four months in fact the red one a bit longer.She got a bad cut needed 28 stiches just coming to the end of the season. :yes:
16 weeks to get a dog ready.

A pro boxer takes about 8 to 10 weeks in training camp for a big fight.

Why do you say 4 months to get a dog fit ?

Ready for what? Rosette hunting? It's the 7th of f***ing July not the 7th of November.. 4 months away & still the same old shite I see,aye I'm a miserable b*****d but for fucks sake boys..yeah you must be boys give things a chance will you..

I agree with yea fuji i do not hunt in the closed season.So i think you like me have a bit of age and should know that 16 weeks is roughly what it takes to get a dog ready.These dogs have lay around for over four months in fact the red one a bit longer.She got a bad cut needed 28 stiches just coming to the end of the season. :yes:

I been told a minimum of 6 weeks before any true fitness shows.

45 days worth of exercise before any true fitness shows.

That's bollocks.

45 days worth of exercise before any true fitness shows.

That's bollocks.

Not sure myself as I enjoy owning dogs and don't mind excersising them all year round but I know a lot of the coursing lads and serious lampers would start building there dogs up now jogging straight runs in a motor bit of swimming.

Obviously if your just having a good mooch here and there no need to build them up so early.

• Like 3

Just my opinion lads 3 weeks short walks 3 weeks walking and galloping on the beach 6 weeks road work ( running behind the van at about 10 to 15 mph )3 to four weeks odd hunt and galloping in the field and road work up to about 5 or 6 miles a day.Then i would think yer dog should peek about the same time as the game december january just my opinion .Oh and of course the food they get would match the work their doing. :thumbs:

Just my opinion lads 3 weeks short walks 3 weeks walking and galloping on the beach 6 weeks road work ( running behind the van at about 10 to 15 mph )3 to four weeks odd hunt and galloping in the field and road work up to about 5 or 6 miles a day.Then i would think yer dog should peek about the same time as the game december january just my opinion .Oh and of course the food they get would match the work their doing. :thumbs:

When you talk of peaking a dog and I could be very wrong on this but my opinion is you bring an animal into peak for a certain day/date/time like you would a game dog or match dog you've got a date to get them into peak condition after that they get a rest before there started to be conditioned again. Unless your matching all through season why do you need a lurcher at most tuned when you can't keep it there for very long ? Surely for a good normal hunting lurcher that does abit of everything just need to be fairly fit and sound ?

• Like 2

When you talk of peaking a dog and I could be very wrong on this but my opinion is you bring an animal into peak for a certain day/date/time like you would a game dog or match dog you've got a date to get them into peak condition after that they get a rest before there started to be conditioned again. Unless your matching all through season why do you need a lurcher at most tuned when you can't keep it there for very long ? Surely for a good normal hunting lurcher that does abit of everything just need to be fairly fit and sound ?

I no where your coming from my idea is to have two good months with them in top shape.I only do big rabbits not matches but single handed and most are not kick ups so if yea get 2 or 3 good runs in a day yer dogs needs to be fit.Just to add the 3 out of 3 dogs yea hear about i never seen one .I seen some do it the odd time but not for the 2 months im talking about every time their out.If yea kill one every day or second day yer out your doing well