Swanndri Shirts and Jackets

Does anyone havea shirt or jacket from Swanndri?

I understand the wool is treated to be amazingly naturally waterproof and hardwearing. I was thinking of buying the ranger shirt, but didn't know if I should get the standard one which should be WP to a point or the version with a WP drop liner.....

Anyone got any experiance of them?

mate, if you can find an older swannie they are a new zealand icon.

as much as it pains me to say this though the swandri is now made in china and i would not advise buying any swanndri product, they shut down the new zealand factories and shipped it all off shore, global marketing and cheaper labour cost they reckon, bullshit they try and sell the brand with pictures of our mountains and outdoors images but they are pumped out of a chinese sweatshop.

support the kiwi workers that got shafted by giving swanndri the big :feck:

Guest Ditch_Shitter

Damn! I actually remember ~ about twenty five years back now? ~ when Swandri hit the british scene. The material and workmanship seemed off the scale. So did the price! :icon_eek: But I had a wife I truly loved, back then, and Nothing was too good for her. I was also getting her into Field Sports and wanted her comfortable. I bought her a Swannie 'Bush Shirt', or what ever they called it. Like a hooded smock, as far as I remember? Good weeks wages anyway!

My only memories were the niggling criticisms of design. It had no pockets. It had no cuff closures. And I wasn't too happy about the neck / throat closure either.

But, what the hell. For england it seemed tough as f*ck. Well put together. Shed water like oil does. Silent. Warm. Not overly heavy, by that eras' standards (Think; Barbour!) And my beloved got to wander round showing THE label ;)

Then I screwed it big time and she and her mega expensive 'jacket' went west. But I've always remembered that garment and wondered if the producers ever got their act together and refined their kit. Made it more practical and incorperated some of the shit we now demand as standard - like not having to bend at the waist and wriggle out of an, effectively, one piece sheaf. How about a zip?

Having read Kiwi's comments? I guess that just layed the ghost for me.

I now wear a Double 'Ventile' jacket from, would ye believe, 'Country Innovations'. (Yeppers; Bill ('The C***') Oddie advertises their kit). Cost me a Very Good weeks wages, at more up to date standards. But it's simply faultless :yes:

Ok; I'm wary of barbed wire fences, with this thing on. But so am I with my Dogs or rifle around. But, barbed wire fence resistance apart? I honestly don't think the Swandri kit held any advantage over what I have now - even in their hey day.

I'd genuinely be fasinated to hear others opinions and comparisons on such kit. How about that tan coloured, 'Soft' material jacket Barbour brought out about a decade back now? I drooled over it then and have never seen it mentioned since.

Anyone?

i have the skippers(?) shirt the one with the poppers all the way up the front and practically live in it around the house and garden warm comfortable and waterproof... my uncle also has one which i gave to him and he lives in it on site.... i also have one of there technical fleeces a smock type, and i am comfortable and warm in just that and a shirt in anything except the very coldest of weather... my dad has the lined stalker extreme coat, and boils in it and a t-shirt... lol ....I know a few lads who swear by the bush shirts, but i think they look to much like fecking "Robin Hood"...

edited to add - have a mate who wears swazi seems like excelent gear...

Edited by borderboy
How about Swazi? They are still New Zealand based. I'm seriously considering their wapiti jacket.

yep they are still designed and made here, top gear, i got the one tuff mutha jacket and my mates got the one tuff brotha......the thar annorack is my next jacket for the high country.

• 2 weeks later...

Old Swannis aren't just a coat they are a way of life to cow cockies (dairy farmers) I have a 10 year old one now, it was used in 2 springs in NZ and argentina, calving in terrible weather and caked in mud and cow goo. It gets an easy life now as I only wear it on coldest wettest days to office, that says it all that I pass over gortex offerings for a good old swanni.

One of the best most durable coats ever made. Still waterproof now (bought Oct 96). If you can find a decent order NZ made one snap it up

• 1 year later...

Kiwi,

I realize I'm on a very old thread, and I'm asking something unusual on a first post, but here goes:

Any of the old Swanni workers going to spill the beans about the "secret waterproofing treatment"?

Or is the "treatment" just BS to stop people realizing the fabric is just a loden type cloth?

ps

I've had a bush shirt since the mid 90s and love it, but I'll be b***ered if I'm buying one made by Chinese who are paid 40 euro cents a day