Make sure people who are on the land you work your dogs know who you are as this poor chap found out . He had permission from the land owner had been doing the pest control there a few years but some one who was new to the land that shoots saw him digging and called the police and rspca he was lucky the case fell apart in court LINK he made the most of a bad situation

• Like 1

Whats with the protected animal charge .The fox has never enjoyed this status .

You are right about the permission bit though mate. I had some foxing and stalking on a patch of land ive done for years . Turned up recently with the rifle, parked where I always do and walked down the fields . Shot a buck and was walking back to the truck when i met a couple walking a dog and said good evening .Another field away from them I had a phone call ,an unknown number which I normally ignore .I answered it to be told it was the police, could I return to the truck . I thought I was just blocking a gateway but to cut a long story short ,the land had been sold recently and the new owners were the dog walkers I'd met ffs .Firearms checked out ,calibre checked ,serial number etc and then an awkward bit had I shot anything .I knew it was now armed trespass so said no ,the buck was in a gateway far end of the land .Another patrol car rolled up and luckily I knew the copper and he said he'd go up the farm to verify my story .Came back with an apology from the farmer for not letting me know he'd sold the land ffs . Went back in darkness to collect the buck .

Could have gone badly though .

• Like 4

I went to house i had the rabbiting on for years as she had a 5 acre garden saw there was a big caravan at house and two new cars knocked on the door and she had sold up during the summer , new guy says he cant even watch wildlife programmes on the telly far less kill his rabbits

You are right about the permission bit though mate. I had some foxing and stalking on a patch of land ive done for years . Turned up recently with the rifle, parked where I always do and walked down the fields . Shot a buck and was walking back to the truck when i met a couple walking a dog and said good evening .Another field away from them I had a phone call ,an unknown number which I normally ignore .I answered it to be told it was the police, could I return to the truck . I thought I was just blocking a gateway but to cut a long story short ,the land had been sold recently and the new owners were the dog walkers I'd met ffs .Firearms checked out ,calibre checked ,serial number etc and then an awkward bit had I shot anything .I knew it was now armed trespass so said no ,the buck was in a gateway far end of the land .Another patrol car rolled up and luckily I knew the copper and he said he'd go up the farm to verify my story .Came back with an apology from the farmer for not letting me know he'd sold the land ffs . Went back in darkness to collect the buck .

I'm not 100% sure but as far as I know a fox cornered by a terrier at the end of a dig is in the eyes of the law now in your possession thus making it protected and it's your duty to make sure no suffering takes place. Hence the reason hard terriers are illegal.

No doubt someone will contradict me but that what I believe.

• Like 3

I'm not 100% sure but as far as I know a fox cornered by a terrier at the end of a dig is in the eyes of the law now in your possession thus making it protected and it's your duty to make sure no suffering takes place. Hence the reason hard terriers are illegal.

No doubt someone will contradict me but that what I believe.

It's the same with rat's caught in a live trap.

• Like 3

There going put an end to what ever bit freedom we have with terriers if there not careful with what they put up on them sites.

Yeah and some of them are supposed to be well respected terrier men,but some just get a buzz out of sticking up pics of broken up terriers with game.

• Like 3

There going put an end to what ever bit freedom we have with terriers if there not careful with what they put up on them sites.

Yeah and some of them are supposed to be well respected terrier men,but some just get a buzz out of sticking up pics of broken up terriers with game.
. There some decent lads on them sites I was surprised to see some on there they usually very discreet about what they do but I suppose it's called moving with the times lol.
  • Like 3

They class the dog as a protected animal any marks or injuries inured will result in a charge . you can get around this if your not stopped or challenged by going straight to a vet but if they stop you before you get there they will make shit up to try and get it to stick there view is the more we throw at them in court the better as something will stick

• Like 2

I hope the lad concerned went round and had a word with the " shooter " ! He knew exactly what he was doing when he made the calls,he's been after that permission for himself if you ask me .