Permissions For Fac

Apologies if this has been asked and answered before, but would really appreciate some opinions/knowledge.

I am about to apply for a FAC for .22 lr and know a local land owner who will give me the thumbs up. The acreage is several hundred of mixed arable, on which I already do some airgunning.

The only possible glitch I can foresee is that 2 other individuals already have the land on their certificates.

What do people reckon? Will the police regard this as a problem?

Also, if my application is successful, will I be restricted to this permission on .22lr or will I be able to shoot elsewhere?

Thanks.

• Like 1

Shouldn't make any difference two other people on the same land , you will be restricted to the permission granted , subsequent land will need to be cleared by your firearms dept until you get an open ticket usually after your first renewal but can be much quicker depending on use and land available to shoot over ..

• Like 2

Also put on a 17 hmr plus moderator as well (even if you don't want one)as this will be granted, and you've got 5 years to get one or not, but if you decide to the 'paperwork' is in place.

You may get 'territorial restrictions' as it's your first application, meaning you can only use it on the land nominated,

but these days (at least in my area) 'they' don't seem to be so pernickety about such things (mainly because they don't have the staff to faff about, so if your cosher in the other departments you may get an open ticket straight away.

Make sure the visiting FLO knows that you are experienced with airguns and permission etc as this will certainly help.

AF

• Like 1

Also put on a 17 hmr plus moderator as well (even if you don't want one)as this will be granted, and you've got 5 years to get one or not, but if you decide to the 'paperwork' is in place.

You may get 'territorial restrictions' as it's your first application, meaning you can only use it on the land nominated,

but these days (at least in my area) 'they' don't seem to be so pernickety about such things (mainly because they don't have the staff to faff about, so if your cosher in the other departments you may get an open ticket straight away.

Make sure the visiting FLO knows that you are experienced with airguns and permission etc as this will certainly help.

AF

As above. If they ask why you want 17HMR and 22lr say HMR for the day and 22lr for at night with N/V because it's quieter, This is how I use them. Also the HMR has less ricochet than a 22lr.

AF

As above. If they ask why you want 17HMR and 22lr say HMR for the day and 22lr for at night with N/V because it's quieter, This is how I use them. Also the HMR has less ricochet than a 22lr.

I'm not really following that, a HMR can have circa 245ft lb., is very accurate and has frangible V-Max type ammo available. Ok, a .22lr can be up to just over 200ft lb, but most use it sub sonic and circa 100ft lb., with HV ammo usually 120-150ft lb and HP of solid, and generally not very accurate. They are not the same and are not particularly interchangeable, they each come into their own in different ways, one potentially being quieter than the other isn't a major selling point in justifying a need!

Why do you need to make day night references, do you need a HMR or do you need a .22LR, if a .22LR does the job at night why doesn't it do it during the day????

I have .22lr. HMR and WMR etc etc etc,, day and night had nothing to do with it, I justified a need for all of them!!

:thumbs:

Edited by Deker

I'll be honest hmr is shite. 22lr and 22-250 is all you need

I'll be honest.

HMR is an accurate and very useful calibre, and can easily push out the usable distance over .22lr by 50-60 yards, maybe more, it isn't shite, many say it is badly effected by the wind, well, like for like conditions .22lr is worse, so if a HMR is struggling then the .22lr is useless.

But it certainly has ammo issues! :thumbdown:

As regards .22lr and 22-250 being all you need, I think that is down to the individual and their requirements.

I run Air, FAC Air, .22LR, HMR, WMR, an assortment of Certrefires and Shotguns and pistols and I need them all, I could not function with simply a .22lr and 22-250.

:thumbs:

Regarding the other permission holders, it shouldn't be a problem but where the police officer to ask it would be good if you could answer him with something like...

I have their personal phone numbers and they have mine, we let each other know before we go shooting so everybody is safe, then we can either reschedule our visit, shoot together, or go to different places on the farm.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...