What Do We Expect Of Our Dogs.

I agree, I think a lot of it is to do with fitness though, within a certain degree if the dogs not fit it will not REGULARLY catch. Prey drive game Ness whatever you call it only goes so far. It helps obviously but continuous exposure to work whatever that is helps.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Those dogs in the books in reality are no different too most dogs we own ourselves it's just somebody has taken the time too photograph and write about them, look back at the last time your dog gave i

It's a bit like life in general if somebody feels the need to big things ups, whether it be a dog or anything else, then generally speaking they are lacking something in my experience. I put this down

It would be nice to see an epic lurcher fail now and again, My Lurcher certainly has some traits I like but some days theirs an alternative meaning ie,   Solid build = Doesn't like to go toilet in

Posted Images

I agree, I think a lot of it is to do with fitness though, within a certain degree if the dogs not fit it will not REGULARLY catch. Prey drive game Ness whatever you call it only goes so far. It helps obviously but continuous exposure to work whatever that is helps.

Down here if you didn't lamp and just moocher around day time would wouldn't catch a awful lot we walk miles and miles and won't catch for a few outings sometimes I'd love to know miles walked pet catch would be depressing but when you do get that good hunt mark to ground or catch feck me it's all worth it
  • Like 2

You'll never have a wonder dog unless you've plenty of quarry to work on

then again if you have a dog thats used to seeing 50 rabbits every time it goes out how would it do in a spot where you might have 1 rabbit for bloody miles lol.

The dogs with shortage of game have to work hard to find stuff

but they never gain the experience which is needed
  • Like 1

theres many a bloke who wouldnt have a wonder dog if they did have plenty of quarry as they dont know how to condition and run a dog properly. the man behind the dog plays a large part imo.
then the bloke shouldn't have a running dog, if you feed it right and it's got plenty of quarry to work the dog gets match fit!

Would you guys still enjoy getting out withyour dogs if they rarely caught anything, not so much lamping just for mooch early morning or late evening.

yes it's no all about catching love to watch them work use there nose

Yeah,.I like to see the dog nose down,..really searching, for that one elusive rabbit...

Sometimes , in a Foresty plantation containing hundreds of valuable young trees,..there IS only one or two rabbits causing damage, ,..but those feckers have got to go... :yes:

A good hunting jukel will soon find where they are hiding out,.and then,.its wham bam,....'Take Away's' all round..££££££££££ :thumbs:

• Like 4

I don't have a lurcher at the moment but getting one soon. I work a Springer and a sprocker they are both good at different things but in my eyes they are both first class they do what I want them to do I can't ask for much more.

When I had my lurcher I got him at 18 months old his prey drive was incredible however the whole idea of bringing it back to me was at the bottom of his list. He wasn't worked before I got him and was only let off the lead in small fenced areas so I suppose he didn't have the best start up and was taking advantage of all the open space he had

then again if you have a dog thats used to seeing 50 rabbits every time it goes out how would it do in a spot where you might have 1 rabbit for bloody miles lol.

The dogs with shortage of game have to work hard to find stuff

but they never gain the experience which is needed

but they get experience finding hard to find rabbits and using there hooters rather than trip over a rabbit every twenty yards I would imagine

I do think its got alot to do with how much game you have got to run.

Its like anything you do. The more you do it the better you get

My first lucher has just gone 2. Round me theres not much game i dont drive and i dont realy know anyone with working dogs well anuf to get out with them all the time and they dont run edible quarry lol

So it was time to put in those foot miles weve had some cracking nights and some shite

We are both learning the game togeather. He hasnt let me down yet, His retreve is not 100% still good just not 100. he never runs away with his catch and can be abit hard on his first couple of catches. They dont bother me lol

I would liked to have seen if he could be a better dog with a more experiance oner or a good pack to work with

• Like 2

Depends how you look at it, you could take a dog that just trails at your heels to a spot that's lifting and bag up, but would the same dog hunt up a hillside all day in wind and rain for a couple

• Like 1

Depends how you look at it, you could take a dog that just trails at your heels to a spot that's lifting and bag up, but would the same dog hunt up a hillside all day in wind and rain for a couple

suppose really its what your hunting = quarry per ban, some people prefer to lamp and some mooch in the day, what ever the dog knocks up .And with this feckin Ban it made life really difficult working a dog day or night, more so if you jumped over the fence . but as it just rabbits today and any lurcher can catch few rabbits,so really as long as the dog gives 100% on its quarry i am happy :yes: , and temp another thing to look at , you have to get on with your dog , more so if they house dogs , mine live outside so it only exercise / work i have contact with them, be different if they were in house 24/7 . i like dogs that are loyal and want to please you , my big dog Buck deff does that very loyal dog , that comes from the gsd deff . :yes: and he 1/2 so the gene =temp strong in him .

• 2 weeks later...