What Do We Expect Of Our Dogs.

End of the day if you happy with what your dog does what ever it maybe that's the main thing they only ever have to please one person if the dog isn't doing what you want and your not happy with it then invest in somethin else ?

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Those dogs in the books in reality are no different too most dogs we own ourselves it's just somebody has taken the time too photograph and write about them, look back at the last time your dog gave i

It's a bit like life in general if somebody feels the need to big things ups, whether it be a dog or anything else, then generally speaking they are lacking something in my experience. I put this down

It would be nice to see an epic lurcher fail now and again, My Lurcher certainly has some traits I like but some days theirs an alternative meaning ie,   Solid build = Doesn't like to go toilet in

Posted Images

I expect what I put in ....

I agree ....

It's not just about what your dog is or what his parents done the owners gotta do his bit aswell. No good hitting same places year after year and expecting to do aswell as the lads travelling around all summer looking for new spots.

• Like 4

It would be nice to see an epic lurcher fail now and again,

My Lurcher certainly has some traits I like but some days theirs an alternative meaning ie,

Solid build = Doesn't like to go toilet in the yard when its raining

Good recall = except when the scent gets to strong then he go lone wolf

High prey drive = Will always leave the daytime squatter 5 meters away for the impossible runner

Good jumper = prefers walls and spending 5 mins looking for alternative to fence or till I pick him up.

Good retrieve= brings ball back overtime will eventually bring rabbit when fully tenderised

• Like 7

You'll never have a wonder dog unless you've plenty of quarry to work on

then again if you have a dog thats used to seeing 50 rabbits every time it goes out how would it do in a spot where you might have 1 rabbit for bloody miles lol.

The dogs with shortage of game have to work hard to find stuff

• Like 2

I believe that most dogs are average workers, nothing above par. But every now and a great while, you witness some dog work that truly changes what you think is possible, or changes expectations of dogs your keeping or will keep in the future.

I myself, am OK with owning average workers that I have alot of fun with. But I have seen some dogs(large and small) do things consistently that most would consider not possible.

It ALL comes down to exposure, what you expose your dogs too, and what you expose yourself too. If you hunt with enough dogmen and dogs, you have a chance of seeing some things most only read about...?

It would be nice to see an epic lurcher fail now and again,

My Lurcher certainly has some traits I like but some days theirs an alternative meaning ie,

Solid build = Doesn't like to go toilet in the yard when its raining

Good recall = except when the scent gets to strong then he go lone wolf

High prey drive = Will always leave the daytime squatter 5 meters away for the impossible runner

Good jumper = prefers walls and spending 5 mins looking for alternative to fence or till I pick him up.

Good retrieve= brings ball back overtime will eventually bring rabbit when fully tenderised

Cheers! This is class!

You should expect whatever your goal is,just be realistic.

Hunting for me is about getting out and enjoying working with the dogs,the hunting up, the run,and if we're lucky catching a few,getting competitive about numbers completely defeats the purpose.

So I'll go for a dog that fits my criteria,it'd be different for someone who is competitive or just wants big numbers.

But get a dog bred for what you want,put in the effort in raising and bringing it on and you should expect it to do what you want.

• Like 2

You'll never have a wonder dog unless you've plenty of quarry to work on

theres many a bloke who wouldnt have a wonder dog if they did have plenty of quarry as they dont know how to condition and run a dog properly. the man behind the dog plays a large part imo.