.20 Hunting Perfection?

Good afternoon all, since buying my MFR in .20 I have not even picked up any of my other rifles, it has become my go-to gun. I am really enjoying the calibre and believe it's a great compromise between .177 and .22, it's almost as flat flying as a .177 and almost as hard hitting as a .22.

I have since topped the MFR with a Vortex Viper HS 4-16X44, which is a truly lovely scope, with the TMB3 Sportsmatch mounts it sits nice and low and looks the business, I really am over the moon with this set up, it does everything I need it to. It's so good in fact, I am thinking of moving on my AirTech Regal and Tuned HW80 as I don't use them any more.

Are there any other .20 or Theoben or Vortex converts out there?

What are your thoughts?

post-99379-0-10924200-1498565879_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

I have thought about one but with a good light pellet in .22 and a good heavy pellet in .177 ,can't really see the point off one .

If you find it is good ,that's all matter :thumbs:

What pellets are you using and FPS ?

I have thought about one but with a good light pellet in .22 and a good heavy pellet in .177 ,can't really see the point off one .

If you find it is good ,that's all matter :thumbs:

What pellets are you using and FPS ?

I wanted to be using H&N FTT because they're 11.4 grains and would have been great, but shoot like a shotgun past 32 yards unfortunately, it loves JSB Exacts which are 13.4 grains and it runs really close to the limit with those 11.85 (635 fps), which is where I want to be. It's actually unbelievably accurate with Exacts so I'm happy, I have to spend a bit more time getting the trajectory right, but I'm out again this afternoon with it, practice, practice, practice lol

I'd second Exacts. My HM won't take anything else. Tried FTT but there shit, however mint in anything else.

But Andy... :D there 13.7'ish... so that rapid of yours if your doing the sums on FPS maybe closer 12 than you think. And all the better for it my old China.

• Like 1

I'd second Exacts. My HM won't take anything else. Tried FTT but there shit, however mint in anything else.

But Andy... :D there 13.7'ish... so that rapid of yours if your doing the sums on FPS maybe closer 12 than you think. And all the better for it my old China.

Yeah it's close, maybe a bit too close, but it's spot on and don't really want to play with perfection. Quite disappointed with it not liking FTTs, that would have been immense, would have flown flatter and would have brought that ft lbs down a bit, never mind, still a really accurate, hard hitting rifle ;-)

• Like 1

my mate swears by .20 cal and his shooting is spot on -I did try this cal but ive always been .22 man so it wasn't for me

Yeah, I've always been a .177 man, it's taking some getting used to, wouldn't be as bad if I could use lighter ammo but my MFR doesn't like it. I've got some range marker targets, just need a day/evening that's not windy/pissing it down to spend some time on POI at various ranges.

• Like 3
  • 9 months later...

Hey all, been a while since I've posted on here, I've made some improvements to the MFR, namely a CS700 Stock and a Leupold VX-2 2-7X33, proper stunner now like.

Also just got back from a month in the states with work, so managed to pick up a Leupold VX-2 3-9X40, which is waiting until I get my FAC, I have my eyes on a .22lr Anschutz XIV and that's where that Leup will live ;-)

20beauty.jpg

• Like 2

A very nice set up there matey. I have just put a Hawke Endurance 5-15x50 on my Anschutz 1417 .22lr and what a cracker, it will let light through way past what I have been able to get away with on any other scope but you have splashed the cash so enjoy.

Phil

• Like 1