At last the fireplace is complete. The snooker table slate in place on an oak Dias. A bit of bling as nosing and a really nice oak surround, finished in Danish oil. Not bad for a DIY job. Jok.

post-98608-0-03064300-1498397887_thumb.jpeg

• Like 10

Blimey jok, nice stuff, am doing exactly the same as we speak, pulled out a god awful 70's gas fire with the fugly 70's tiles to match, have opened the breast right up and a new skin of reclaim brick gone in, metal receiver plate along with mahoosive re enforced concrete lintels x5, black slate slabs laid as a hearth, large oak mantel and uprights, just waiting on the hunter 14 multifuel to arrive and I'm ready for winter

• Like 2

Yes Rabid. We looked at each other and I said yes or no. ? No going back. Out it all came and got on with it. Fortunately I had the lovely white oak in the workshop and life was easy. Biggest problem was the sheer weight of the slate bed. Results however speak for themselves. The lovely one is chuffed so we go on, and on, and on, and on. How do they dream these projects up? Jok

• Like 1

Yes Rabid. We looked at each other and I said yes or no. ? No going back. Out it all came and got on with it. Fortunately I had the lovely white oak in the workshop and life was easy. Biggest problem was the sheer weight of the slate bed. Results however speak for themselves. The lovely one is chuffed so we go on, and on, and on, and on. How do they dream these projects up? Jok

Feck me, nearly the same situation as well !

I was going to go with a one piece slate bed, I was looking for a pool table when I was offered some smaller slate slabs foc so couldnt say no, the joints will be with black dye in the muck so should look good with the brickwork.

I also had the oak in the workshop,but mine is a European oak (probably known as white oak) rather than English, it was that or walnut but the walnut ain't dry enough yet and I wanted it done.

It was my choice, not the mrs, so I can't blame her for this one.

• Like 1

Rabid and Griff. Yes it was a good project for not much outlay. The downside is that the lovely one has ordered matching oak furniture which means that my original yew suite is out the window. Back to you Rabid. Don't know how far you are in but one piece solid slate is the way to go. I guarantee once it's down it's down. I reckon that's 100 kilos which took a bit of sorting. The stainless nosing really looks the business. Now onto the next problem. Got to work out some captive drop blinds for the bay window. How lovely life is. Jok.

• Like 1

Yes it's fully operational. Tell you what pal. It's a joy when November comes round. Jok.

What KW is it? Yeh you are going to bloody love it.

I have fires even when it's not really cold....any excuse lol

Yes it's fully operational. Tell you what pal. It's a joy when November comes round. Jok.

What KW is it? Yeh you are going to bloody love it.

I have fires even when it's not really cold....any excuse lol

any excuse.....had mine lit lastnight :thumbs:

• Like 2