Raising A Pup

May have been done to death but I can't find much on here. I've got a good mate on here helping me along with my first terrier pup but just curious on how others raise their pups,some say show them nothing until ready for earth work.. Some throw bits and bobs at them from young. What's worked for you?

Cheers in advance for any help..

I got a part trained sheepdog last year.great worker but had only been out of its kennels to work.couldn't work out how to get through a gate or over a ditch.hadn't seen a lot of normal every day things which are all part of its life now.not the dogs fault as had never been shown. What I'm trying to say is get it out and about.because it may be a great worker but there's more to learn about life than work in my opinion.good luck

• Like 2

I took my JR out as soon as he could waddle about. Took him ferreting in a bag because we used to go to far for him to walk. Never forget his head cocking to the side and his ears perked up when he heard rumble under his feet then a rabbit bottled under his nose and off he went lol. He never looked back after that.

He was the best dog I ever had and worked his way through the quarry list at his own speed and he just took every thing in his stride

Edited by terryd
  • Like 1