• Replies 8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I will donate this camera to your cat hunting if you would like it  lumix fz72 60x zoom 

Was out for a walk with the dogs this morning, bumped into a fellow I sort of know through a lot of common interests we often stop for a chat,he hunts a bit and likes his old cars I have something for

Just re reading the whole thread and you’ve come under some real stick mate .Apologies for my part .Doesn’t mean I’m a believer just embarrassing some of the comments 

Posted Images

Does anybody actually know anybody who had a big cat before the ban . Not know of someone but actually know someone.

And what was the preferred outcome by the authorities when the ban came in . Why didn't people just get a license and if they couldn't get one what were they supposed to do with their big cat. Were they to be sentenced to death or would they be rehomed in a zoo etc . Any why would people prefer to release them into the wild where potentially they would die. If that was me the thought would be if I had a cat and I fed it all it's life and grew a bond with it I'd worry by releasing it it might not be able to fend great for itself and could starve and die.

Im really curious at the the way things were and people thinking around the time of big cats as pets . Obviously they weren't regular pets but I can't understand why people just opened the cages and let them free .

I know it might be a stupid way of thinking but I might compare it to a pet (not working) ferret . I know they can survive in the wild but after years of owning one if a law came in saying they need to be licenced and I wouldn't get a license I'd rather hand it over to a zoo to see out it's days , in better and bigger habitat than I could give it than just let it take it's chance with nature . Flip side if these guys didn't have a bond and care for the cats wellbeing handing them to a zoo might even be easier than just letting loose .

Greyman. You know where im at as far as big cats but if I want to wrap my head around the whole idea I need to explore every reason behind how they came about . Through your research and talks with people who had cats then and released them what motivated them to just let a big powerfull creature loose into the wild

Every ghetto would be like a zoo

Funny you should say that,i was in Peckham earlier......

Just casually walking the baboon and hyena lol . Id be wary of that baboon . f***ing hate those things

• Like 3

Does anybody actually know anybody who had a big cat before the ban . Not know of someone but actually know someone.

And what was the preferred outcome by the authorities when the ban came in . Why didn't people just get a license and if they couldn't get one what were they supposed to do with their big cat. Were they to be sentenced to death or would they be rehomed in a zoo etc . Any why would people prefer to release them into the wild where potentially they would die. If that was me the thought would be if I had a cat and I fed it all it's life and grew a bond with it I'd worry by releasing it it might not be able to fend great for itself and could starve and die.

Im really curious at the the way things were and people thinking around the time of big cats as pets . Obviously they weren't regular pets but I can't understand why people just opened the cages and let them free .

I know it might be a stupid way of thinking but I might compare it to a pet (not working) ferret . I know they can survive in the wild but after years of owning one if a law came in saying they need to be licenced and I wouldn't get a license I'd rather hand it over to a zoo to see out it's days , in better and bigger habitat than I could give it than just let it take it's chance with nature . Flip side if these guys didn't have a bond and care for the cats wellbeing handing them to a zoo might even be easier than just letting loose .

Greyman. You know where im at as far as big cats but if I want to wrap my head around the whole idea I need to explore every reason behind how they came about . Through your research and talks with people who had cats then and released them what motivated them to just let a big powerfull creature loose into the wild

As far as I can make out the law forbids ownership but how you give up ownership was up to you. Obviously people don't want to give up a much loved pet to be euthanased but try to find a zoo which has empty cages just waiting for someone to offer a spare animal to fill it. Apart from the fact that zoos have studbook and genetic programmes for most species so won't jut take anything there is also the simple logistic of space .

As for the idea of cats learning to hunt they actually learn quite easily. Just look at your pet moggy it will be bringing in mice and birds from just a few months old with no teaching from its mum. Released cats would probably have quite a layer of fat to help keep them going until they got their techniques right.

And remember wild big cats can easily have a territory of 400 Sq miles and they seem to find a mate pretty easily

As for the idea of cats learning to hunt they actually learn quite easily. Just look at your pet moggy it will be bringing in mice and birds from just a few months old with no teaching from its mum.

But released cats would also have no fear of man,i wouldn't have thought they would have lasted long on this crowded little isle......

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

As for the idea of cats learning to hunt they actually learn quite easily. Just look at your pet moggy it will be bringing in mice and birds from just a few months old with no teaching from its mum.

But released cats would also have no fear of man,i wouldn't have thought they would have lasted long on this crowded little isle......
which takes you back to the early 80,s when loads of people were seeing them on the moors and farmers were loosing numbers of sheep in the hundreds the army were on Bodmin moor for a few weeks because it was getting so common down there and they did see and open fire on a large cat a dead body of a leopard has also been recovered from Bodmin moor the cats have since learned to avoid us and the deer numbers have gone through the roof since the 80,s

I did a google for body of leopard found on bodmin and this is the first thing that popped up....

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/beast-bodmin-moor-mystery-solved-4812877

That's where the argument for/against all falls apart from me. It saysthey found a skull in a river of a male leopard . Is that not proof they exist? And that rotting carcass should be tested. If it's a leopard or whatever them that again is proof their out there . It seems the proof is there but theirs nobody saying "definetly" here

No mate,that links not working?

Welsh_red there is a 100% accurate case of 2 schoolkids presenting a skull they claimed to have found,it was a genuine big cat skull........

http://fortean.wikidot.com/big-cats-in-the-south-west

No mate,that links not working?

Welsh_red there is a 100% accurate case of 2 schoolkids presenting a skull they claimed to have found,it was a genuine big cat skull........

http://fortean.wikidot.com/big-cats-in-the-south-west

Ha! Came from a discarded Leopard rug. You'd wonder how these things end up in a ditch or river etc.

I,m popping out for a bit of a walk round the harbour side some beers and a bite to eat but when I return I have a list of country shows that the big cat tent will be attending this year as there are a few here with a genuine interest so if you are local you can pop along and ask your questions to some of the more academic researchers, and see some of the evidence on show, if the beers are going down to easily I may have to do it tomorrow cheers

I,m popping out for a bit of a walk round the harbour side some beers and a bite to eat but when I return I have a list of country shows that the big cat tent will be attending this year as there are a few here with a genuine interest so if you are local you can pop along and ask your questions to some of the more academic researchers, and see some of the evidence on show, if the beers are going down to easily I may have to do it tomorrow cheers

Will it be at hatfield house at the end of the month?

• paulus locked this topic
  • paulus unlocked this topic