Time of year also going to play a big part in what they eat, I think early summer there are enough young dumb animals of all species about to keep them going without the need to take deer sized animals, it's normally later in the year say September onwards I find a few eaten out deer, spring when there are Cubs to feed seems to be when they are more likely to hit an easy target like sheep, none of this is proven as I,m dealing with a non excistant animal but it's a pattern that I,m building as the search goes on, so my cameras can be in place before the cats arrive

• Replies 8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I will donate this camera to your cat hunting if you would like it  lumix fz72 60x zoom 

Was out for a walk with the dogs this morning, bumped into a fellow I sort of know through a lot of common interests we often stop for a chat,he hunts a bit and likes his old cars I have something for

Just re reading the whole thread and you’ve come under some real stick mate .Apologies for my part .Doesn’t mean I’m a believer just embarrassing some of the comments 

Posted Images

A big cat will need an average of 2 to 4 percent of its bodyweight pet day depending on age activity weather etc. So let's say a 100 lb puma will need say 30kg per week or say one roe deer for arguments sake8

Firstly. Where are you getting 30kg Roe?

Secondly.

100lb = 45.34kg.

4% of 45.34KG = 1.801kg.

1.801kg x 7days = 12.609KG

OK 30 might be a bit high but I reckon you would probably get 10 kg meat off a 20kg roe? Plus offal skin and bones which a cat might eat? Or maybe roe was a bad example ? Without picking me up on details the point I was trying to make was just to estimate a rough kill rate for a large cat. And I think a kill rate of one medium sized mammal a week is reasonable? What are your thoughts? I did say for arguments sake but I don't actually want an argument ☺

I was being a bit of a pedantic bellend....

Average larder weight for a roe for me would be 15kg or there abouts, that means it would be around 19/20kg live weight.

I should imagine you get around 10KG of meat off that if you are lucky, but i imagine a big cat would eat the offal too?

Based on that then I suppose a Roe a week is very possibly enough to sustain a cat, that or a Roe and a half?

Pedantic bellend ☺ never heard those two words in the same sentence before ?

I an going to try to find if any food consumption studies have been done on wild puma or leopard just to get a better idea.

Edited by beast

I an going to try to find if any food consumption studies have been done on wild puma or leopard just to get a better idea.

From what I've read I think your numbers are spot on. Hydro said roe and a half but what about every wild mammal up to and including roe? The studies show they'll feast every 9-12 days when hunting large game but what if they had a decent supply of smaller game? :hmm:

We've had sheep stuffed in trees and I'd imagine that they'd be pretty easy pickings in harder times.

How come no scats ever been found?

Something eating lot of raw meat bones got to shit somewhen.

Agreed but if they don't officially exist who is out looking for it? Nevermind who could tell the difference between fox and puma shit? :hmm:

Edited by ChrisJones

Yep I went three a few years ago it is very run down and amazed me how they got their zoo licence. Good luck to the lynx hope it stays free and doesn't get put back there

They sold fruit and nuts pots to feed the animals there for a quid . You could feed some animals through the mesh or over the top of there was no top to there enclosure . Think it was gophers or something like that that were first thing you seen after reception . They were the fattest things I've ever seen. Obviously everybody who bought pots giddy in there excitement fed the first animal they seen loads .

Most of the animals there were rescued I think . I did enjoy seeing the leopard being fed . They had a rabbit tied to a rope to the ceiling attached to the rabbit . Was very jurrasic park

they are mate I personally have found two this year myself, I don't bother to collect them as I have no confidence in the people that do the testing, all I want is a 100percent no doubt photo, it costs over £200 to get a sample DNA tested and when you know what will come back makes you reluctant to send them off, I have been tempted to send a scat off from the zoo just to get the email back saying its a fox or dog which is what happens with every sample ever tested, if you go on YouTube Jonathan mc Gowan has bags of scat from the Dorset area there is also an Australian bloke on there that has sent several samples that he collects from the leopards cage off to labs in Australia only to be told they are canine every time we have had 5 massive scats DNA tested and every one has come back as fox even though cat and fox shit is very different in appearance and the size of them would of turned a fox,s ass inside out if it had passed them and lastly many scats are buried they seem to drop a few on top of things to mark territory like grassy clumps it also turns white very quickly because of the amount of calcium in it will try and dig out a pic for you I have one somewhere, here you go mate a 100 percent no questions fresh leopard turd

post-102539-0-06611100-1509375549_thumb.jpeg

Edited by Greyman

Pedantic bellend ☺ never heard those two words in the same sentence before ?

Haha.

Food consumption and average size of territory would be interesting, I imagine that greater food abundance would reduce territory size.

they are mate I personally have found two this year myself, I don't bother to collect them as I have no confidence in the people that do the testing, all I want is a 100percent no doubt photo, it costs over £200 to get a sample DNA tested and when you know what will come back makes you reluctant to send them off, I have been tempted to send a scat off from the zoo just to get the email back saying its a fox or dog which is what happens with every sample ever tested, if you go on YouTube Jonathan mc Gowan has bags of scat from the Dorset area there is also an Australian bloke on there that has sent several samples that he collects from the leopards cage off to labs in Australia only to be told they are canine every time we have had 5 massive scats DNA tested and every one has come back as fox even though cat and fox shit is very different in appearance and the size of them would of turned a fox,s ass inside out if it had passed them and lastly many scats are buried they seem to drop a few on top of things to mark territory like grassy clumps it also turns white very quickly because of the amount of calcium in it will try and dig out a pic for you I have one somewhere, here you go mate a 100 percent no questions fresh leopard turd

What reason would labs have for lying?

Mind its them conspiring again maybe??

Edited by sandymere
  • paulus locked this topic
  • paulus unlocked this topic