• Replies 8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I will donate this camera to your cat hunting if you would like it  lumix fz72 60x zoom 

Was out for a walk with the dogs this morning, bumped into a fellow I sort of know through a lot of common interests we often stop for a chat,he hunts a bit and likes his old cars I have something for

Just re reading the whole thread and you’ve come under some real stick mate .Apologies for my part .Doesn’t mean I’m a believer just embarrassing some of the comments 

Posted Images

The clouded leopard escape seems like it could be legit to me, you've got the council confirming there's a DWA license holder in the area who keeps clouded leopards and the local police confirming that the owner reported an escape and that the animal was recaptured after reports of sheep being attacked, can't see any real reason to doubt it?

It is a bit surprising there isn't any pictures of it in the trap but then again I know farmers who don't even own a camera or smartphone so maybe he didn't have the means to take a picture?

• Like 4
27 minutes ago, Rusty_terrier said:

Your only encouraging them.

Big difference between an escaped pet that was spotted and recaptured in short order and mythical breeding populations of wild big cats going undetected for years though ;)

I just can't see any reason to doubt it, why would the local police lie about there being an escape and subsequent recapture?

• Thanks 1
1 minute ago, BGD said:

Big difference between an escaped pet that was spotted and recaptured in short order and mythical breeding populations of wild big cats going undetected for years though ;)

I just can't see any reason to doubt it, why would the local police lie about there being an escape and subsequent recapture?

Where did they lie?

3 minutes ago, scothunter said:

Where did they lie?

Read the article, the police confirmed an escape was reported to them by the owner and that the animal had been recaptured. So unless the police were lying about that it seems pretty clear that a clouded leopard escaped and was subsequently recaptured...

2 hours ago, BGD said:

The clouded leopard escape seems like it could be legit to me, you've got the council confirming there's a DWA license holder in the area who keeps clouded leopards and the local police confirming that the owner reported an escape and that the animal was recaptured after reports of sheep being attacked, can't see any real reason to doubt it?

It is a bit surprising there isn't any pictures of it in the trap but then again I know farmers who don't even own a camera or smartphone so maybe he didn't have the means to take a picture?

Maybe. Maybe not. Terrible journalism like that just wastes everyone's time.

Just now, Rusty_terrier said:

And what world are we living in when you are smart enough to capture a leopard but not smart enough to operate a camera 

Like has been said, most farmers don't even know what a smartphone is. If you asked them, they'd probably say "one ov dem posh ones" ?

3 minutes ago, Rusty_terrier said:

And what world are we living in when you are smart enough to capture a leopard but not smart enough to operate a camera 

Tbh I know plenty of old farmers who wouldn't think of taking a picture

2 minutes ago, Rusty_terrier said:

I'll stand by any man who caught a leopard in the UK woulndt be ringing the paper they'd ring a taxidermist

I don't he did call the paper? There isn't any quotes from the farmer or anything, seems like they got the story from the police so the question remains why do you think the police are lying about the escape and recapture?

9 minutes ago, Rusty_terrier said:

Here's the thing, mate. I actually live in a place where large cats outnumber the people and I'm struggling to catch one on camera. I've caught coyotes and deer on the camera in my yard and they're either too close to the camera so the picture looks washed out or moving fast that the footage is blurry.

Now I'm not going to wade into the debate on either side other than to say that you're setting a trap to catch an animal that may or may not exist and there is a learning curve in placing the technology to get the best footage. Easier said than done.

• Like 1
25 minutes ago, ChrisJones said:

Here's the thing, mate. I actually live in a place where large cats outnumber the people and I'm struggling to catch one on camera. I've caught coyotes and deer on the camera in my yard and they're either too close to the camera so the picture looks washed out or moving fast that the footage is blurry.

Now I'm not going to wade into the debate on either side other than to say that you're setting a trap to catch an animal that may or may not exist and there is a learning curve in placing the technology to get the best footage. Easier said than done.

25 minutes ago, ChrisJones said:

Those are wild cats thought this is a captive bred cat that has spent it's life in a cage and is used to humans and relying on them for food, big difference to a totally wild cat that avoids humans at all costs.

28 minutes ago, Rusty_terrier said:

Where did I say the police where lying . I had a go at shady journalism claiming it was caught in a fox trap by a farmer.

As far as I can tell it's the police claiming it was caught by the farmer so if you don't believe that's what happened it sounds like you are in fact saying the police are lying...

4 minutes ago, BGD said:

Those are wild cats thought this is a captive bred cat that has spent it's life in a cage and is used to humans and relying on them for food, big difference to a totally wild cat that avoids humans at all costs.

True but I'd have expected better than stock footage from the Daily Fail. Another strike against them.

I was commenting on how difficult it is to capture footage when your local forest is saturated with them so I can understand why the footage is hard to come by in areas where they're introduced and accidentally at that. Not backing either team other than saying that just because you have a 1080p HD IR Trail Cam doesn't mean you're suddenly just going to start posting movie quality footage, that's all. I know a guy with thousands tied up in Nikon camera gear and I wouldn't rely on him to take pictures at a 3-year-old's birthday party! :laugh:

• paulus locked this topic
  • paulus unlocked this topic