i think we all dream on living somewhere like that but home is where your friends and family are and all mine are here.maybe exmoor, local but far enough.alaska would be great for about 3 months a year then i'd want to come home.

What fecking Exmoor,id rather travel up the A1 and live in the North East with them brain dead half bred jocks.

there's only 1 exmoor morton and it's beautiful all year.and local enough

Stay clear of Jhonny.

met him a few times already.

I saw some of some programme on BBC tonight, life swap??

Two women, one from Alaska & the other from Nottingham....

Women from Nottingham in Alaska "I want this life!"

Women from Alaska in Nottingham "er.....this is different...."

i saw that to but can you imagine linda living there full time when she cried just going shooting.i think thats a big part of life up there.

Like I said, I only saw some of it mate, didn't see the shooting bit........what struck me most is what the Alaskan women said about community, no one knew the Brit women in her street or summit? But everyone knew each other in their little community in Alaska.....

Seems totally different over there, people want to help you out and be part of the community. Over here most people more bothered about getting one over you it's as if helping out is almost a sign of weakness.

I saw some of some programme on BBC tonight, life swap??

Two women, one from Alaska & the other from Nottingham....

Women from Nottingham in Alaska "I want this life!"

Women from Alaska in Nottingham "er.....this is different...."

i saw that to but can you imagine linda living there full time when she cried just going shooting.i think thats a big part of life up there.

Like I said, I only saw some of it mate, didn't see the shooting bit........what struck me most is what the Alaskan women said about community, no one knew the Brit women in her street or summit? But everyone knew each other in their little community in Alaska.....

Seems totally different over there, people want to help you out and be part of the community. Over here most people more bothered about getting one over you it's as if helping out is almost a sign of weakness.

I suppose it depends where you go. I was surprised to learn recently that Anchorage had quite a troubling rise in violent gun crime.......but that is their 'big city'

Western lower 48 is nice. Winters are relatively mild with an occasional tough winter just to let you know who's in charge. Spring is like magic, Fall is time to hunt and pack away the garden. Winter is crap if you don't have anything to do but most of my friends hunt more in the Winter than any other time of year. Winter is fantastic if your a dog man! The prices aren't anywhere near as bad as Alaska. There's plenty of room if you stay the hell away from the cities. There are 48 states to choose from though you can forget the East half as far as I'm concerned but even some of those states would be a dramatic step up from the UK from what I've learned.

There are plenty of places in the lower 48 that you can go and simply disappear. Alaska is mostly like that. I can deal with 30 degrees below zero (F) for a few weeks but 50 below and colder is absurd. Most of the folks I know that live in AK full time shoot 99% of their meat and don't buy meat from a grocery store. That takes care of a good chunk of money right there. They pack away a moose, a caribou and a pile of salmon and flounder and crab and whatever else they feel like hunting or fishing. You can hunt enough meat to support a pack of 50 dogs and many people do it. That's plenty for a family of 20 if you want.

Buying stuff up there isn't to bad if you can buy a bunch of stuff at the same time and go and get it from a cheaper destination (one of the larger cities). There are all sort of ways to get things done cheaper if you plan ahead.

All of that being said, I wouldn't move there. There's way better hunting for more types of game down in the lower 48 but I'm a dog man and Alaska is not a very dog friendly place for running game.

• Like 4

If I had the money ,I'd wait for one of those small Scottish islands with a croft to come up for sale.

If you want to have something like that check out Nova Scotia. I have a friend up there that is a commercial fisherman. He told me that anytime I want to come out, he can take me to any one of many, many, many islands. He said they are loaded with coyotes, bobcats and coon. The size and topography of the island is up to me, there's all kinds. It's like having your own hunting preserve and you can pick a different one every week. He also said it's rarely over 23.88 C and rarely lower than -6 C if I have my conversions right. It's 75 and 20 in F. Pretty tough not to be comfortable in that kind of climate.

You don't have to wait for anything, it's all there.

If your a non-resident Alaska is a pricey place to hunt,and as Dan has just said above -50 aint fun,i have been in -40 and its ridiculous.

And people here moan when theres a bit of ice on the road lol

Id love ago at raceing the seld dogs looks like good fun

Edited by green dragon

If I had the money ,I'd wait for one of those small Scottish islands with a croft to come up for sale.

If you want to have something like that check out Nova Scotia. I have a friend up there that is a commercial fisherman. He told me that anytime I want to come out, he can take me to any one of many, many, many islands. He said they are loaded with coyotes, bobcats and coon. The size and topography of the island is up to me, there's all kinds. It's like having your own hunting preserve and you can pick a different one every week. He also said it's rarely over 23.88 C and rarely lower than -6 C if I have my conversions right. It's 75 and 20 in F. Pretty tough not to be comfortable in that kind of climate.

You don't have to wait for anything, it's all there.

Sounds nice but I would need money and then a passport lol
  • Like 1

think im too old to be going to a place like Alaska the hardship of winter would do me in but if i had a lottery win i reckon i could go off the grid in the highland where the winters wouldnt be that harsh

• Like 1

Western lower 48 is nice. Winters are relatively mild with an occasional tough winter just to let you know who's in charge. Spring is like magic, Fall is time to hunt and pack away the garden. Winter is crap if you don't have anything to do but most of my friends hunt more in the Winter than any other time of year. Winter is fantastic if your a dog man! The prices aren't anywhere near as bad as Alaska. There's plenty of room if you stay the hell away from the cities. There are 48 states to choose from though you can forget the East half as far as I'm concerned but even some of those states would be a dramatic step up from the UK from what I've learned.

There are plenty of places in the lower 48 that you can go and simply disappear. Alaska is mostly like that. I can deal with 30 degrees below zero (F) for a few weeks but 50 below and colder is absurd. Most of the folks I know that live in AK full time shoot 99% of their meat and don't buy meat from a grocery store. That takes care of a good chunk of money right there. They pack away a moose, a caribou and a pile of salmon and flounder and crab and whatever else they feel like hunting or fishing. You can hunt enough meat to support a pack of 50 dogs and many people do it. That's plenty for a family of 20 if you want.

Buying stuff up there isn't to bad if you can buy a bunch of stuff at the same time and go and get it from a cheaper destination (one of the larger cities). There are all sort of ways to get things done cheaper if you plan ahead.

All of that being said, I wouldn't move there. There's way better hunting for more types of game down in the lower 48 but I'm a dog man and Alaska is not a very dog friendly place for running game.

Where abouts do you live Dan?