Farmer Was cutting silage today and saw hundreds on the field all afternoon so going down early tomorrow morning to try and hopefully get a shot at a few

I was just wondering on patterns ?

I usually just scatter the decoys in pairs of threes around 5-10 yards apart

I'll be using real birds I've got about 20 in the freezer from last time

Any advice would be great

Cheers

Edited by Compo21

They don't seem to me to have a pattern, I normally just bunch them up in groups about twenty yards in front of the hide , which needs to fit in with the surroundings ..the worst thing I've found is to be popping up and down , either shoot them from a sitting position or shoot them standing up building your hide to suit ..they pick up on any movement so stay still and wait till they come in ..good luck with it ..

Agree with all said , but for me if the hide don't blend with the immediate surroundings , forget it !,

Might as well get the I pad out and Google THL,, that's what I do .lol

If I get two flares off , there's some thing wrong , so get out and sort it out , if you don't , just sit back and eat your sandwiches, cause you wont get any birds

atb

• Like 3

Thanks for the advice everyone!

I left the house at 5am and managed to get 16 crows, 17 jackdaws and 9 woodies my best day decoying by myself

The jackdaws seemed to be suicidal bombing across the field into the crow decoys if I was a better shot I could have doubled my numbers but you live and learn,

Crows where very shy at committing to the decoys not sure what was putting them off moved everything around a few times and nothing seemed to work,

The wood pigeons where just either passing by or landing in the tree above the hide,

Packed up by 2pm as the heat was getting to me and every bloody fly looked like a incoming bird

Thanks

• Like 1

I have used pigeons bouncers to good effect before but they soon wise up to them. a small length of cane up the arse of a few to give a bit of movement and to make sure there all not in the same position is a winner, also put one or two decoys on a hedge or in a tree or on a bale if theres any about, to act as look outs.

Getting a few now Dave , I'm out Wednesday the keeper said two bits of cover crop are black with them , same bits we shot a week or so back . For him to ring and tell me they must be doing some serious damage ..