Favourite Quarry

I go digging with a friend and he has a digging dog but has no interest in charlie

Doesn't interest me at all no course just full on battle. May as well be into dog fighting
Saying things like that you may aswell be an anti youv clearly never been diggin to think it's like a dog fight, a good terrier should go to ground and find the fox once found give in rnough pressure to push the fox into a dead end once it's in the stop end then the terrier should hold it at bay and bite if the fox is trying to get past, usually the fox will stay put aslong as the terriers just baying,

Far from an anti, but if hunting I'd your thing then they arnt it.

Let's be realistic they don't run they just fight. It takes a good terrier to handle one on a dig.

They anit sport, imo

are we both talking about foxes?

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

To compare the courage of a 80lb bull cross snapping a fox apart with that a 14lb terrier going to a big dog fox after xmas is something surely most on the site will have left behind?   I can't be

has to be a fox for me

Definitely fox. We used to meet in the cafe at 7 have a breakfast then on to a mate of mine who had a small pack of beagles and we d go to different farms and estates pushing woods and cover. There wa

Posted Images

I go digging with a friend and he has a digging dog but has no interest in charlie

Doesn't interest me at all no course just full on battle. May as well be into dog fighting
Saying things like that you may aswell be an anti youv clearly never been diggin to think it's like a dog fight, a good terrier should go to ground and find the fox once found give in rnough pressure to push the fox into a dead end once it's in the stop end then the terrier should hold it at bay and bite if the fox is trying to get past, usually the fox will stay put aslong as the terriers just baying,

Let's be realistic they don't run they just fight. It takes a good terrier to handle one on a dig.

They anit sport, imo

Must be as foxes require a good course and catch at the end

An average pit bull will kill most badgers easily, don't even compare the 2...... well that's what I heard of a load of old fellas
Exactly what am saying. It takes a game lurcher to take one but it anit hunting inmo
The word game gets thrown around a little to often these days, an animal tackling somthing a third of its size isn't so, there's only one way to test gameness and that's lb for lb..... but that's a story for another day and probably not wise to discuss on an open forum

Couldn't agree more pal.

These kids do my fecking heading thinking they got the Mike Tyson of dogs going a quarry a 1/3rd of its size. They think they are the masters of the lurcher game.

The lurcher was bred to chase and catch it's quarry not jog up-to it and have a good scrap with it. Nowt but dick measuring contest IMHO

I think when someone says 'game lurcher' I think it's in jest asin it's a lurcher that doesn't mind getting bit? We all know a game dog is for the ring

They anit sport, imo

testing the terrier to the limit shame its ilegal over here we can only assume these days

They anit sport, imo

It does not take a good terrier to handle a fox haha I use to work as terrier man for a hunt and I can assure you I have seen many dogs that wasn't worth the kennel space stay with foxes they are not a test in the Earth dog world, if you have a terrier and all you want to do with it is dig a few foxes here and there and it does the job then yes it's a good terrier to you but it hasn't been tested just because it stays with a fox

Kangaroo for me over here. Big, tough and good fight, you needed strong and hard dogs to do well on the big males. Plenty of pace and wind too because the b*****ds are bloody quick with a wind up. Shame its illegal now, my family were always very keen on their roo dogs and bred some real nice dogs that would catch, kill and carry the smaller ones single handedly. Now they're a plague and you're buggered getting permits from the government just to shoot the pricks, real shame and hard on the farmers. Still happens though but if you're caught its serious trouble. At least I can still run the little wallabies in my state but it's not the same.

must have been some sight to see, from what I've seen kangaroos a'int slow and i'd imagine not every dog would have been able

Like anything if you breed dogs for the job you're gonna have better luck, their pace and agility isn't on par with a hare though. It was always more about making sure the dogs learn to keep away from the back legs

Kangaroo for me over here. Big, tough and good fight, you needed strong and hard dogs to do well on the big males. Plenty of pace and wind too because the b*****ds are bloody quick with a wind up. Shame its illegal now, my family were always very keen on their roo dogs and bred some real nice dogs that would catch, kill and carry the smaller ones single handedly. Now they're a plague and you're buggered getting permits from the government just to shoot the pricks, real shame and hard on the farmers. Still happens though but if you're caught its serious trouble. At least I can still run the little wallabies in my state but it's not the same.

must have been some sight to see, from what I've seen kangaroos a'int slow and i'd imagine not every dog would have been able

Don't need a special dog to catch kangaroos at all

All depends. Greys in pasture country are not difficult, especially on the light and you'll catch plenty with your run of the mill stag. The big reds in the desert country are a different story. Also depends on if you spotlight or run em in the day, run multiple dogs or just one out etc

• Like 1

What type did u use for the big males Red cos they're a lump of an animal to pull

Not so much about type, more about teaching dogs the safe way to pull em down. The key is a throat or upper chest hold and to keep away from the back legs. My uncle had a dog that would jump, grab the head and use his bodyweight and momentum to break their neck. He did it once as a young dog by accident and just learnt it as the easiest way. Another dog he had would grab the base of the tail so they couldnt rear up to kick and get another dog to make the actual catch. As far as breed goes, the ones my family used were originally greyxdeer with a tiny bit of kelpie for brains and stamina and then just bred and culled til they got a type they liked but they had some wolfhound blood added in 50's for some size and strength. Wolfhounds were much better dogs back then, shorter and lighter built with a lot more guts. My uncle still has a few dogs from this line he hunts foxes and pigs with. Nowadays just your standard deer x grey would do the job just fine

• Like 1

Don't know why you'd compare lurchers to terriers ,doing a totally different job ,

Pointless ,

Both are worth their weight in gold if it's your sport.

thats what I was saying Roy there different kettles of fish asking for different types of work
  • Like 1

Like anything if you breed dogs for the job you're gonna have better luck, their pace and agility isn't on par with a hare though. It was always more about making sure the dogs learn to keep away from the back legs

All depends. Greys in pasture country are not difficult, especially on the light and you'll catch plenty with your run of the mill stag. The big reds in the desert country are a different story. Also depends on if you spotlight or run em in the day, run multiple dogs or just one out etc

I get what you're saying but when compared to deer they don't compare for pace. I think the only thing they have on their side is sheer endurance

I get what you're saying but when compared to deer they don't compare for pace. I think the only thing they have on their side is sheer endurance

Nah you're right, deer are more difficult. But I'm sentimental and it was such a major part of the survival of Australia as a colony that I feel its a shame its illegal. Plus a lot of family history

They anit sport, imo

It does not take a good terrier to handle a fox haha I use to work as terrier man for a hunt and I can assure you I have seen many dogs that wasn't worth the kennel space stay with foxes they are not a test in the Earth dog world, if you have a terrier and all you want to do with it is dig a few foxes here and there and it does the job then yes it's a good terrier to you but it hasn't been tested just because it stays with a fox
i agree an average terrier should stay with a fox. But that doesnt make it a good fox dog. A good fox dog can be hard come by and difficult to consistantly breed. Dogs for jobs. Your last statement can also work the other way, a terrier that hasnt met a fox throughout its career can easily make hard work of an 'easy' fox and pay for it.

They anit sport, imo

i agree an average terrier should stay with a fox. But that doesnt make it a good fox dog. A good fox dog can be hard come by and difficult to consistantly breed. Dogs for jobs. Your last statement can also work the other way, a terrier that hasnt met a fox throughout its career can easily make hard work of an 'easy' fox and pay for it.

Not disputing that mate iv had what some would call 'hard' terriers get mugged right off by foxes back in the day because they wasn't use to it but if youv got a terrier that's worked regularly on charlies never walks out never messes about just goes in and gets the job done correctly (I'm not talking 10 or so dogs I'm talking 60+ digs under its belt) in my eyes it still hasn't been tested as an Earth dog