One of me land owners kids are getting married in the up coming months and hes asked me to sort out a Mole problem in the front lawn of the estate house. Having cut down on the rabbits digging with me rifles on a regular basis.

Never done Mole trapping before... and in all honesty, Im not really up for it, but feel its something I should look into for obvious reasons. Not to mention, he sees them as a proper pest to his bowling green front lawn just as much as some see rabbits, corvids etc. Im gonna do the usual reckie on YT but wondered if you lot could pass on any advice beforehand... best traps, best process and so on.

Nice one.

One of me land owners kids are getting married in the up coming months and hes asked me to sort out a Mole problem in the front lawn of the estate house. Having cut down on the rabbits digging with me rifles on a regular basis.

Never done Mole trapping before... and in all honesty, Im not really up for it, but feel its something I should look into for obvious reasons. Not to mention, he sees them as a proper pest to his bowling green front lawn just as much as some see rabbits, corvids etc. Im gonna do the usual reckie on YT but wondered if you lot could pass on any advice beforehand... best traps, best process and so on.

Nice one.

Why do you feel obliged ? (if its not, your thing ?) Is it permission, or paid work ? I would definitely recommend you pass it on, if your not keen,.....(theres PLENTY mole catchers, nowadays) & he has too PAY , if he wants it done right ! :D

Edited by earth-thrower

Nice one.

Why do you feel obliged ? Is it permission, or paid work ? I would definitely recommend you pass it on, if your not keen,.....(theres PLENTY mole catchers, nowadays) & he has too PAY , if he wants it done right ! :D

Im not sure and thats a good question.

I suppose he asks me to do 'a job' which coincidentally is a hobby I enjoy. When he asked me to take care of a tree rat problem, Im happily obliged, as it involved shooting, but when it comes to Moles... Its like saying 'can you build me a brick wall?" I could have a go... :)

I suppose Ive answered my own question. I just dont want him getting someone else in, who perhaps shoots as well, thus he offers something I dont... but, I suppose, my service is free.

Hmmm.

You maybe able to catch a few and keep him happy enough , can't think that anyone of a decent nature called in to catch the moles for work ..., would try and take your permission . It took me a good year following an owld buye around who had 40+years experience to learn enough to start making a living from it . that was 32 years ago and i'm still getting the hang of it . :hmm:

Edited by Rowan

Even if you managed to catch them you'll just keep getting asked to catch them when they come back again. If mole catching ain't your bag, especially if you're not getting paid for it, it'll become a pain in the ass. Pass it on.

It's not as simple as it looks, I pulled 20 miles off a horse paddock a couple of months back, really sandy hard trapping. The owner saw how I did it and said she's gonna do it herself now. I have her a brand new talpex to try and set and she couldn't set it never mind set it in the ground! She had a go with a few traps afterwards but soon called me back! Lol

I also did the trapping on pippa Middletons parents place before the big wedding there! Proper pressure to get it right there!!

• Like 1

Nice one all you lot. Trappin'... a proper poachers art form... :)

Think I'll give it a miss and just carry on whippin' the rodents with me airguns.

Lincolnshire by the way. Does say under me avatar :D

You maybe able to catch a few and keep him happy enough , can't think that anyone of a decent nature called in to catch the moles for work ..., would try and take your permission . It took me a good year following an owld buye around who had 40+years experience to learn enough to start making a living from it . that was 32 years ago and i'm still getting the hang of it . :hmm:

"cant think that anyone of a decent nature called in to catch the moles for work...,would try and take your permission",........................yes, i agree :thumbs:

It's not as simple as it looks, I pulled 20 miles off a horse paddock a couple of months back, really sandy hard trapping. The owner saw how I did it and said she's gonna do it herself now. I have her a brand new talpex to try and set and she couldn't set it never mind set it in the ground! She had a go with a few traps afterwards but soon called me back! Lol

I also did the trapping on pippa Middletons parents place before the big wedding there! Proper pressure to get it right there!!

Those' types' who want to 'do it themselves' , annoy me,....i dont entertain them, & wont try & show them. (thats just me , though) Get some farmers, also, phoning for advice,...who do theyre own moles,....but they want to try & 'pick your brains', for any tips on dealing with some 'difficult' ones ?,.......or they want to know how to set & install, a new type of trap ! (they wouldnt give you a job, though !) ,....what do they think it is ? lol

Edited by earth-thrower
  • Like 1