It's not as simple as it looks, I pulled 20 miles off a horse paddock a couple of months back, really sandy hard trapping. The owner saw how I did it and said she's gonna do it herself now. I have her a brand new talpex to try and set and she couldn't set it never mind set it in the ground! She had a go with a few traps afterwards but soon called me back! Lol

I also did the trapping on pippa Middletons parents place before the big wedding there! Proper pressure to get it right there!!

Those' types' who want to 'do it themselves' , annoy me,....i dont entertain them, & wont try & show them. (thats just me , though) Get some farmers, also, phoning for advice,...who do theyre own moles,....but they want to try & 'pick your brains', for any tips on dealing with some 'difficult' ones ?,.......or they want to know how to set & install, a new type of trap ! (they wouldnt give you a job, though !) ,....what do they think it is ? lol

Yep it irks me too, they usually have plenty cash and worry they are being ripped off! I will at times show them quickly how it's done, knowing full well they will struggle and call me after they've spent days or weeks trying to catch them! I do make sure they are given a go at setting a new talpex but not showing them how to go about finding tunnels and using probes too much tho!

They don't tend to worry too much about the cash after the run around they get from the moles lol

I've had similar incidents also, one in particular which had me raging.. was a retired gentleman who used to be an engineer ring me up and asked if I would call around as he said he had lots of moles in his rather large garden. It was like the Spanish inquisition with him firing question after question about trap type, location etc.. basically he was wanting to know how to do it himself.

After I explained to him I wasn't an advisor and told him my price for clearing his garden he cut me off.. in his own words said to me "im an engineer by trade (groan)I think I can handle it myself thank you very much" & a flick of his wrist to dismiss me.

Needless too say he was back on the phone again a fortnight later asking rather gingerly if I would accept the job as all his attempts had failed & destroyed most of his lawn.

I kindly declined the offer... I can't stand people like him...the last I heard was that a local odd job man from around the town had taken it on and made even a bigger mess as well as failing to catch any moles...

Oh how I laughed!

Edited by MAG1980
  • Like 3

Well, you'll all be glad to know that I haven't taken on the job, cos I don't know what I'm doing with traps and moles.

Traps... bloody poachers art anyway :)