Suprized No One Has Picked Up On This

a teen Ben Wragge 13 years old died after being shot with a over powered poorly made or maintained air gun . The gun would shoot by its self . A coroner is going to ask for tighter controls on air guns , after what he called a rare tragic accident . rule number one dont point at gun at any one ( what is the point of that rule ), how will you stop an idiot doing that with tighter controls . today 13 year olds and guns are there no rules . today over powered air guns are there no rules . and surely giving 13 year olds and over powered dangerous to opperate air gun are there no rules for that . so how is this an accident .

I remember hearing about this last year - not good. Rip to the poor lad.

Apparently the rifle belonged to one of the boys parents.

Apart from an adult failing to maintain and secure his rifle, it sounds like a case of boys being boys that's had the most dire consequences possible :no:

I know they're 'only air rifles' but, they are capable of doing a lot of damage.

I think a lot of the responsibility for this lays with the owner.

I've had my daughters mates and the kids next door using my air rifles - it's always safety first (they probably hate the lecture off some old fart :rolleyes:) and, never unsupervised. They stay behind the rifles and, always keep the muzzle pointing down range.

There's nowt wrong with owning and using these things as long as we take the time to educate the young 'uns.

...... There's a drawer full of sharp knives in the kitchen - we all know to keep our fingers away from the blade when using them.

It,s been raised on another forum it was a home made ,badly made powerful air rifle so sorry for the lads parents but mr coroner how the hell would airgun license laws stop this.It was HOME made not shop bought ,u cant legislate against a man with a lathe .

A sad storey witha knee jerk reaction

• Like 1

Yes I read this yesterday on another forum, very sad indeed.

An old work friend lost his 21 year old son in a freak air gun accident about 5 years ago. I had to be very careful what I said because I would chat about the weekends shooting with guys at the office but really didn't want to talk guns when this awful accident had taken place.

Phil

Very very sad, but why is the first call always to tighten up the gunlaws? The owner of the gun was breaking the law by allowing a 13 yr old access to it unsupervised anyway, just prosecute the irresponsible owner to the letter of the current laws and draw a line under the whole sad event.

Thats how we ended up having to get a licence for our airguns some prick in Glasgow shot a toddler on his dads shoulders in the street and when he died his mother kept campaigning to ban air guns . maybe if you had to sit a test like some countries these terrible things wouldnt happen ?.

:hmm: A home-made, badly-made, or maintained illegally powerful air rifle that would shoot by itself? Then allows it to fall, unsecured, into his 13 year-old's hands? What sort of Licence rules and regulations can account for that? It's a tragic accident all right, but, there it is. A tragic accident no less. :hmm:

:hmm: A home-made, badly-made, or maintained illegally powerful air rifle that would shoot by itself? Then allows it to fall, unsecured, into his 13 year-old's hands? What sort of Licence rules and regulations can account for that? It's a tragic accident all right, but, there it is. A tragic accident no less. :hmm:

Go bed :)

I would if I could stop reading your bloody ammo post my dear pal!

Go bed :)