Tail Docking Length

Every pup is different, every tail is different, taking a third of will leave some short and some long.

Get your vet to hold the pup and imagine it as an adult dog, dock the pup where the tail looks in the correct proportion you're looking for. If it looks right as a pup, it'll look right as an adult.

It's still legal to get pups docked at a vets, what I won't do though is give them free reign to hack off what they like.

• Like 7

A lot of vets in Leeds won't even entertain docking terrier pups just spaniels and the few that do like to charge handsomely for the privilege plus they want u to take litter into there practice at a couple days old not the best place for them to go at that age

• Like 1

3-5 days is the window to have them docked, I always go into the vets room with the pups, I hold each pup in their turn, put them on their backs, put the tail over their privates, put my thumb n finger in position then the vet does the snip while I'm still holding the pup :thumbs:

• Like 1

When my oldman used to do it we always measured the spine of the terrier pup from base of neck to base of tail and then did the tail a third of that measurement seemed to do the trick as it was more in proportion for each individual pup atb

Cowardice is stored in the tail of the dog so the more you cut off the braver he will be and the less he can tuck between his legs when he's jacking.

Might be some truth in that.Saw an episode of dog whisperer where a scared dog had it's tail down,when they held the dogs tail up its whole attitude changed.

The was a few fkrs out their, I listened to a programme and the was trying to get more powers to enforce all these things. People in that type of work to come down on people with there laws. The trying to stop alsorts even what feed you keep.got difficult for some who genuinely keep dogs and the finding all these things out to enforce