Fao Desertbred

By culling day old pups you could be culling the best ones in the litter ... it's impossible to tell at that age what is worth keeping and what's not unless they have an obvious deformity .....

I really struggled with what too do, and its this statement that kept ringing in my ears, cause in reality its the stone cold truth, you really don't know what you are culling at that age, even at eight weeks when they taken some shape and shown a bit character etc, its still impossible to tell anything real solid, look at some of the great dogs take breed or type aside, the real top end ones are all shapes and sizes within the breeds and types of crosses, some say larger litter harsh on the dam, my argument their is properly prepared the dam should easily cope, plus we do our bit by making life easier for her , supplementing extra milk,weaning them asap etc, maybe a much older dam would benefit from a smaller litter, but I wouldn't personally breed from a real old bitch, risk of her dying to high, so for me for now its only deformity which would deter a cull, but again I do see why lads cull, it stops all the chew and heart ache of sorting homes, hearing all the promises etc only too maybe see some go too pure waste for lack of interest, or shifted on, , which is a real kick in the balls to be fair, but in a reason we cant expect them all to turn out great

Its a risk and Id advise anyone who thinking of it make sure you prepared for a long haul, coursing pups aint that popular nowadays and theres more than the market needs, likely the same with all types of lurcher, add to the fact its a bad time of year cause people have holidays planned etc, its only sensible to assume you could be stuck with a couple more than you want for a while longer than you wish to be lol but everything worth having is a risk in life and you get nowhere without trying, as long as I do my level best by them before they go the rest time will tell

In all fairness ,unless you are keeping a good few pups for yourself ,you could just as easily be giving the best away anyway.

I culled a few from my last litter as they wasn't thriving too well.

It's not nice especially when children are involved in the rearing.

I'd maybe cull if a bitch had a massive litter ,unless I could get access at a later date to their blood ,but it's something I wouldn't want to do ,culling healthy pups,unless it has been a hard litter on the bitch ,or the bitch rejected them.

• Like 1

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Couple of pics of pups mate        

Posted Images

its a very valid question Aaron, comes down too heart at the end of the day, could or should I of culled some? the truthful answer is yea I possibly should have done, who needs that many pups at the end of the day? Personally I couldn't do it, I don't have the heart too, and that's being honest, I could, however my wife wouldn't/couldn't live with me doing it, my daughter would be livid as well, so its not an option, but I still need stock and therefore Ive done it , however I will ensure they get good homes, I'm in no rush at all with them, in fact homes ain't really a problem, but I knew that before I did it, I always give the same guarantee if the reason for parting is genuine and the dogs been kept right then I will buy it back at price it went for that's assuming money even changed hands for it, its about the best I can do for them, I've done it before and I daresay I d do it again, I see it as part of the ongoing commitment to them,

now they older its quite easy to tell, what I personally prefer, and what I wouldn't want to keep, myself, don't mean I will have picked the best though, that's something you never know until they get the chance to show it , my personal preference are always the largest pups in the litters, color etc don't bother me its size for me

read the last thread about culling and somebody made the point you could of possibly culled the best, which is possibly true, but again you could only ever judge the ones that reached maturity and got the graft anyhow, and not all will make it out of any litter, so many factors that get in the way, hopefully they will make their owners happy, and give them some pleasure as ups and watching them grow out until they ready to go, what comes after that god alone knows, could be the smallest least fancied one that becomes somebodies pride and joy, way I see it they bred worker to worker, sire and dam got lot of seasons graft between them, both still do a bit despite their ages, they not been one trick ponies, so hopefully the pups wont be either,

By culling day old pups you could be culling the best ones in the litter ... it's impossible to tell at that age what is worth keeping and what's not unless they have an obvious deformity .....

I really struggled with what too do, and its this statement that kept ringing in my ears, cause in reality its the stone cold truth, you really don't know what you are culling at that age, even at eight weeks when they taken some shape and shown a bit character etc, its still impossible to tell anything real solid, look at some of the great dogs take breed or type aside, the real top end ones are all shapes and sizes within the breeds and types of crosses, some say larger litter harsh on the dam, my argument their is properly prepared the dam should easily cope, plus we do our bit by making life easier for her , supplementing extra milk,weaning them asap etc, maybe a much older dam would benefit from a smaller litter, but I wouldn't personally breed from a real old bitch, risk of her dying to high, so for me for now its only deformity which would deter a cull, but again I do see why lads cull, it stops all the chew and heart ache of sorting homes, hearing all the promises etc only too maybe see some go too pure waste for lack of interest, or shifted on, , which is a real kick in the balls to be fair, but in a reason we cant expect them all to turn out great

Its a risk and Id advise anyone who thinking of it make sure you prepared for a long haul, coursing pups aint that popular nowadays and theres more than the market needs, likely the same with all types of lurcher, add to the fact its a bad time of year cause people have holidays planned etc, its only sensible to assume you could be stuck with a couple more than you want for a while longer than you wish to be lol but everything worth having is a risk in life and you get nowhere without trying, as long as I do my level best by them before they go the rest time will tell

Just out of interest What made you go to a full saluki mate instead of another purpose bred coursing type?

I mainly run pure saluki's mate, and own the stud dog, he been to a few bitches since he been at stud and produced some real nice handy durable stock, I also keep the odd coursing lurcher and ran the full litter brother to the dam, my friend ran the dam and her sister all there running lives so I know where she been who she been with and what she done and not done, same with rest of the litter, I really like the breeding on the dams side, we had a few from these lines and they all been good animals, so its a no brainer for me too stick around what has worked for me for the last ten year, pure saluki and buddy blood has been mixed before with great results by men who know far better than me , I liked what I seen and now have gone that way myself, this is a repeat mating so I sort of already know what is coming from them already to a degree

I suppose it would be a site easer to buy from someone elses litter, but why when I have my own stuff? there's no guarantee you will be able to buy what you want either, some litters impossible to get something from, plus you never going to get the cream of the crop, or even know what best pup is cause you only see when you go too buy one, I'm not sure I would be able to put the same commitment into a dog I got elsewhere either, although litters are hard work expensive and can lead to a load of disappointment no matter how hard you try, I really enjoy the rearing, training entering conditioning every bit as much as I do running the dogs, I know exactly whow the pups been reared which to me is real important as Ive got too spend the next two year working and living with it,

Back to why use the pure saluki? I know him well, inside out in fact, we worked together for many seasons, day and night he competent and consistent on variety of stuff, he produces very nice sound stock physically and mentally when put to a variety of well bred and tested bitches, it worked well enough last time, there no reason too assume it wont this time, so fingers crossed, I'm selfish and want the best one or two out the litter, but if another man gets the best one then fair play to him

the look on lads faces when they take away the pup they have picked is priceless more so If they fetched missus and kids along, their is a lot of pleasure to be had from pups as well as the trauma and dramas they can fetch, seeing pictures of them as they progress and hearing how they do when entered is nice as well, you get too meet new lads and get days out different places as well which a real bonus lol , plus you get your own stock out if it, which the biggest bonus of all imho

Eruditely answered, and the exact point I was making a couple of weeks back in the 'culling' thread. Culling at a couple of days old is utter madness and the result will be the exact opposite of what someone is trying to achieve in a breeding program, to enhance the line further. Could, and would, probably be culling some of the better pups, thereby making your endeavours even longer because you've culled before knowing what you've got.

Anyway, cracking litter arcticgun :thumbs:

• Like 1

Little sods had me up since five am lol am too tired to cull today anyone up for beheading a half a dozen pups?

IMG_20170611_082253_zpswiygubw3.jpg

IMG_20170611_082451_zpsp1b807qj.jpg

Take ya pick lol

Young dog from last litter

38B4F373-0AEE-4577-8C02-566A33396878_zps

Absalute cracking pups and the older youngster from previouse litter is a topper as well. :thumbs:

lovely pups mate any one be proud to have one of them, the line bred stuff in my eyes I almost a bread in its self now, and the outcross to pure sal.is the only outcross to use it only ever ads something its never negative.

lovely pups mate any one be proud to have one of them, the line bred stuff in my eyes I almost a bread in its self now, and the outcross to pure sal.is the only outcross to use it only ever ads something its never negative.

Cheers pal, the line bred stuff superb, and like you say its a breed in its own right, the lad who bred my coursing dog and the da too the pups, has been into the dogs years, he not into it for fame or money, just the love of coursing and keeping the dogs, they breed what suits the land they course weekly and they test their dogs regular, the dog pup I got from them and still own has given me years of great sport, and has the added bonus he likes a full range of game and is a decent hunter, the dam I got from one of the lads come as an older bitch and she has still given me some good days sports and is a handy thing to own, they might not be bred from the latest and greatest names, but they bred from solid lines that do the job, they deffo a sound base to add to.

If I had a moan about my dog it would pf been his coat its like that of a whippet and very cold windy rainy days he sometimes could feel it too the extreme between runs more so when they thin on the ground, rugging him up saved him a few times, now the dam his litter sister she has a smooth coat too but more like a double thickeness, never feels nowt , the white bitch pup Ive decided to keep from the litter has a right thick coat, the blonde bitch I'm also keeping is thin coated, white one is a nice mix of pure and coursing dog, where as the blond bitch smacks of all out coursing dog, just has that look about it, be interesting too see which makes the grade assuming either do, the dog pup from the litter am sure will make a very decent grade, he is like a clone of the last one she had, fingers crossed lol

Thanks for the kind comments lads :thumbs:

• Like 1

Beautiful pups, you can tell they are being reared properly and at no expense spared I bet. I don't think I could cull any puppies even if one was deformed, I would have to get the vet to do it me thinks.

Also it's nice to see someone comment saying it could be two-three years before they are mature, too many idiots get rid of good dogs to young because they aren't catching at ten months old.

That's their loss and probably don't deserve a good dog in the first place.

• Like 2