My Reintroduction To The Wonderful World Of Shotguns

ive bought 3 boxes of no.6 Eley for a bit of pigeon hunting and have made a promise to the son we will have a go at them in a week or two..Now I have no decoys(yet) and very little of everything else lol but hope fully we can walk up a few first and then use them as decoys ....Its been a lot of years since I shot over the Baikal O/U and this time im wearing ear protectors,even though the damage is done allready,,I kept the licence over the years even though I havent shot it since 2010....so it should be ''interesting''...lets hope i remember how it goes lol

• Like 1

Give the defends to the lad , I hear you say what did you say , lol

Where you at jig , I sure somebody near you could lend you some decoys ect , net and the such

You can borrow mine if your not to far mate

Atb

thanks david but im in southern Ireland,,,this will be just a bit of sport,...very badly organised sport lol but we see what the kid thinks of it ,lol...

• Like 1

id say the most of them will be as safe as houses,,,im using my trusty old baikal over and under...and it packs some punch ...if i do get the bug back i might save up and buy a nice handy sporting O/U in the future...I cant wait to see the son have a go,,,it aint no 223 hes firing ,lol..

• Like 1

id say the most of them will be as safe as houses,,,im using my trusty old baikal over and under...and it packs some punch ...if i do get the bug back i might save up and buy a nice handy sporting O/U in the future...I cant wait to see the son have a go,,,it aint no 223 hes firing ,lol..

Is it a light gun?

I used to have a fancy grade 5 Miroku but got rid of it, I now have a knackered old Harrier Delux which cost 120 quid but I love it and have had some of the best shooting a man can ask for with it including snipe and woodcock. It has a bulge in the barrel and is probably not safe to shoot with anymore but I will either get it repaired or fix a replacement identical but it will stay with me for ever :)

My mate swears by his Beretta but it's very subjective, you need to have find something that really suits you.

I don't know what it is about pigeons but I always got excited by them, far more than a pheasant or duck, they can be very clever birds as well, in the city they will fly right over your head but these are the same birds that move around the country and on the farm we shot over they would always fly over you at around 90 yards just outside range....they know what's good for them lol

By the way give Hull cartridges a try, they have a very soft recoil compared to some of the other brands I have used them for years and they are great but not their high velocity ones.

Is it a light gun?

I used to have a fancy grade 5 Miroku but got rid of it, I now have a knackered old Harrier Delux which cost 120 quid but I love it and have had some of the best shooting a man can ask for with it including snipe and woodcock. It has a bulge in the barrel and is probably not safe to shoot with anymore but I will either get it repaired or fix a replacement identical but it will stay with me for ever :)

My mate swears by his Beretta but it's very subjective, you need to have find something that really suits you.

I don't know what it is about pigeons but I always got excited by them, far more than a pheasant or duck, they can be very clever birds as well, in the city they will fly right over your head but these are the same birds that move around the country and on the farm we shot over they would always fly over you at around 90 yards just outside range....they know what's good for them lol

By the way give Hull cartridges a try, they have a very soft recoil compared to some of the other brands I have used them for years and they are great but not their high velocity ones.

Nik thanks for the info..The Baikal is a strong gun,bit on the heavy side but the kick from it is decent enough lol..i will toy about with this for the moment and see where it goes,Im getting to the stage now where its fun im pursuing rather than the serious side of things....been there done that...

• Like 1

8 years old is sonic now and the kelpie is 10, so next seasons going to be quiet,,im hoping to have a new charge in the near future all going well.your busy as ever i take it

Is it a light gun?

Nik thanks for the info..The Baikal is a strong gun,bit on the heavy side but the kick from it is decent enough lol..i will toy about with this for the moment and see where it goes,Im getting to the stage now where its fun im pursuing rather than the serious side of things....been there done that...

You will know better than me but the heavier the gun the less kick you get, it's probably your mount if you are rusty. Do you get any bruising on you inner bicep or anywhere else? That's usually an indication of a bad mount. I think a decent instructor is worth spending a few quid on to get the mount sorted, either that or just practice if you still have the muscle memory from years ago.

I know what you mean about fun, I've had my big days out some of them were ok, the syndicate was great but I can't be bothered finding a new group of people who might or might not be ok. My heart is in rough shooting really so hopefully one day we'll get rights over a smallish farm just for a mooch with the dog and family, maybe put a feeder or two down to see what we can get. I much prefer wild birds over released birds especially woodcock, snipe and wild duck and of course pigeon which for some reason gets my pulse racing more than most of the other birds lol

Nik I know nothing lol,,,just passing the time away,with stuff i enjoy,,ive no idea about my mount or stance but i usually get it sorted after a few outings..theres rough hill where i hunt the goats and theres a lot of pheasant on it,,,the lurchers flush a few every time were out ..I am struggling to find time to get out at the minute..just started a new job and such but i will be out sooon.....i hope lol

• Like 1

Nik I know nothing lol,,,just passing the time away,with stuff i enjoy,,ive no idea about my mount or stance but i usually get it sorted after a few outings..theres rough hill where i hunt the goats and theres a lot of pheasant on it,,,the lurchers flush a few every time were out ..I am struggling to find time to get out at the minute..just started a new job and such but i will be out sooon.....i hope lol

Sounds like heaven :thumbs:

If you ever cross the waters to Anglesey and fancy shooting some clays let me know....I don't know what I'm doing either :laugh:

• Like 1