Trapping With The Kids

Brilliant mate. Trying to get my nephew out and about with me now he's seven. What adjustments did you have to make to start catching? I may try using the live taps with my nephew, but less brutal than a fenn lol.

I've shown my kids my fenns and bodygrip and shown them being triggered and told them to stay away from them , that their for when their older. It makes it a more stress free environment with live traps . Absolutely nothing bad can happen if they do something wrong with them or f**k up . I couldn't settle or enjoy being out of the kids were with me and I had kill traps around. I'd be on edge all the time . They've helped me dig pocket sets before but didn't get involved with setting the traps

IMG_20170402_135055_zpshlddgm5c.jpg

IMG_20170402_135058_zpswh9vbiix.jpg

• Like 1

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The knowledge on this site astounds me sometimes . So many people been doing so many different forms of hunting/trapping etc for so long i pale into insignificance . Most on here been doing what they

Them kids is gonna' grow up just fine. We went to the Bath and West Show today. Was stood by one of the Alpaca pens. There were 2 in there, and one had been shaved, looked very peculiar. Both were tam

Fantastic writeup! This place should be filled with story's like this. Makes for some good reading and discussion.

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...

I reset the traps yesterday only this time i took my small dog with me . She was awesome at all times , didnt give a shit about a field of annoying enquisitive horses either . Stuck near me but still having a root around down the woods. She did have a very big interest in the peanut butter i had tho. I went back tonight to check with my little girl and dog (boy was at a afterschool club) . Id set a few multicatch mouse traps for a bit of snack size ferret food and also the kids can see the mice up close aswell . The dog ignored the scurriyng mouse which was a weight off my shoulders . I had visions of her going bananas at a trapped animal and i know its not a large squirell but its a good start she didnt care about the mouse . My girl told me tonight was her favourite time ever going to check the traps . I think it was because it was just her and the dog and me and no brother there but she felt very grown up when i told her her job was to look after the dog . I gave her a bag ot dog treats and told her if the dog wanderes off to call her and reward her with a treat . Her recall is spot on anyway but theirs a whole new world down the woods and fields for her to sniff and explore i thought it good to reinforce it down there , And in the case of a emeregency if i needed her with me sharpish i had her squeaky ball in my pocket as backup . She will run away from anything to get to her sqeaky ball. My girl was given a backup lead and straight away put it around herself exactly like i do . A few pictures if anybody is interested

IMG_20170614_163828_zpsxpwofhhe.jpg

IMG_20170614_165003_zpspnnhp5bg.jpg

IMG_20170614_163828_zpsxpwofhhe.jpg

Mouse trap

IMG_20170614_165936_zpsi3hbgkv6.jpg

IMG_20170614_170108_zpserxtpxd1.jpg

IMG_20170614_170129_zpsmj44ex7c.jpg

IMG_20170614_170305_1_zpsa1dgwytt.jpg

Rewarded her good behaviour with a spin round the yard in the car

IMG_20170614_172153_zpsqlnmdyc4.jpg

IMG_20170614_141750_zpsyijjmz9g.jpg

Edited by Welsh_red
  • Like 2

Those dog's are in great condition red. Excellent photo's once again.

If only I could stop the big one moulting year round I'll be happy . Did you notice the mink raft in the background ?

I certainly did. Nice looking stream that.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

Few pics of my girl out and about with me . My boy comes sometimes but is all about football these days and can take hunting/trapping or leave it . My daughter comes out with me and the gun sometimes but I've told my boy he can't come and he's ok with that , he's got short attention span and would end up being bored and wanting to climb branches or jump off mounds of earth or something and it's a recipe for disaster . My girl will spot rabbits for me , she can be a hindrance with her loud footsteps but it's all learning for her 

This he her helping me find a snare I dropped while walking back to the farm . Looked for it for a hour on my own and couldn't find it . Few minutes with her and she's found it 

Her helping me stick box traps up in the trees with ratchet straps to catch squirell 

IMG_20180617_164828_1.jpg

IMG_20180609_133722.jpg

• Like 2
1 hour ago, EDDIE B said:

Those the ones you made up Red? Is this the first time you've put them out?

Yeah only got them out 2 weeks ago.  Fuckall for first week  even tho I baited with a bit of Darcy lure . This last week they've started getting used to them and I've had 2 already . Possibly 3 . Mrs just came back from the farm and she checked traps and she thinks one is triggered so Im off down in next hour to check . Ideally I would have screwed them into the tree but the day I put them up I didn't have a drill handy so I used ratchst strap .

IMG_20180622_182426.jpg

IMG_20180609_135653.jpg

IMG_20180609_132601.jpg

IMG_20180609_131954_1.jpg

IMG_20180522_174611_1.jpg

IMG_20180519_192804.jpg

• Like 3