North Korea

The US has sent a 3rd carrier strike group to the Korean peninsula, Japan also has one there.

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2017-05-27/us-deploys-third-aircraft-carrier-toward-north-korea

That is a hell of a lot of military firepower. Sure looks like the US has had enough of Kim Jong Un's bullsh*t. I think they might actually strike NK unless he gives up his nuclear program which it doesn't sound like he will. I can't see a ground invasion happening but I could see them taking out facilities, airbases and probably artillery positions to stop them hitting back at Seoul.

Of all the wars we could be involved in I think this would probably be justified given the threat of nuclear weapons to Japan and Seoul which would be directly threatened once they have the ability to mount the warheads on the missiles and that might not be far off.

War coming soon or just hot air?

• Like 2

Couldn't give a shit if im honest. Same story time and time again. Load of poor c**ts will be bombed and displaced. They will do there best to flee and folk will moan like f**k about refugees.

China and North Korea have a treaty agreement than if one is attacked the other will militarise to help it.

If Trump bombs N.Korea and all shit hits the fan dragging us in with him we might be the poor c**ts being bombed in retaliation!

Oh i very much doubt we will ever be dragged into any of Trumps wars. In fact cant see any nation joining him.

Anyway the other week he was defending that nut job in N korea. The mans a f***ing idiot

• Like 4

Couldn't give a shit if im honest. Same story time and time again. Load of poor c**ts will be bombed and displaced. They will do there best to flee and folk will moan like f**k about refugees.

China and North Korea have a treaty agreement than if one is attacked the other will militarise to help it.

If Trump bombs N.Korea and all shit hits the fan dragging us in with him we might be the poor c**ts being bombed in retaliation!

I think the Chinese are getting a bit sick of Kim as well, they apparently stopped importing coal from NK and made a few statements about them, in return NK issued a warning to China which is laughable.

The Chinese might be ok with the US doing airstrikes but obviously not an invasion as NK is useful as a buffer state to the Chinese.

P.S this is a foreign policy issue not a Trump decision, no matter which president was in power this would be coming to a head, just like the Iran nuclear deal happened under Obama. The people who plan US foreign policy aren't elected, because strategic issues need to be thought about a decade or more in advance.

The cfr mate?

People like that yes, one of them Zbigniew Brzezinski was an advisor to presidents of both sides (he just died yesterday actually).

It makes perfect sense though, you have to know where your strategic focus is going to be and changing it every 4 or 8 years isn't going to work. Obama had to perform the 'Pivot East' which was the US disentangling itself from the ME and Europe partly to focus on China and the Pacific/South China seas.

The cfr mate?

People like that yes, one of them Zbigniew Brzezinski was an advisor to presidents of both sides (he just died yesterday actually).

It makes perfect sense though, you have to know where your strategic focus is going to be and changing it every 4 or 8 years isn't going to work. Obama had to perform the 'Pivot East' which was the US disentangling itself from the ME and Europe partly to focus on China and the Pacific/South China seas.

Dangerous bunch of fuckers mate.

• Like 2

I don't think Mattis would be happy without his Marines doing a proper job. He would know that air strikes would only be a temporary solution.

Otherwise I agree Nik_B.

Have you ever read anything about the Korean war? I didn't really know much about it because I grew up reading about WW2 and then we had the Falklands war when I was in Primary school so never paid it much attention. I have a very good book on that war as I always bought books which I would never read at home when I was on the way to work as I would have no choice but to read them.

It sounds like the terrain is very challenging although back then NK had Chinese and Russian pilots and troops fighting with them. I can't really see the US sending ground troops in, it would have to be an amphibious landing since the DMZ is probably riddled with tunnels and landmines etc and the Chinese would be very uncomfortable with that.

I can see the US doing airstrikes and I can also see the Chinese even putting troops in to the North of the country but not US troops, I think an amphibious landing would be very risky.

On a side note we had a chance to talk to an American gentleman recently, he shot down a Me-262 piloted by Walther Schuck during WW2, he also served in Korea and they were flying ground attack in P-51s, he was wounded twice if I remember correctly and got in to a fight with a Mig.

• Like 1

No nik I don't really. I just can't imagine Mattis would allow half a job to be done. Interest post though mate. :good:

If you are interested in History it is well worth reading about, the Korean war barely gets a mention these days.

Civilian casualties in the millions

Combatant deaths 600,000 up to a million.

The UK lost over 1000 soldiers there

The US lost 33,000

The USAF was fighting against elite Soviet fighter pilots, it is possible they didn't know it at the time or it wasn't reported but we know it was the case now.

The US considered using nuclear weapons during that war.

The part I had zero knowledge about was that the US had advanced all the way to the North to the Yalu River, the Chinese sent forces across and attacked their army routing it to the south. We talk about a cold war but this was conflict that involved direct conflict between the US (UN).

The guy we talked to was Joe Peterburs who is still alive and kicking and an absolute gent, he spend several hours talking to a group of us and answering questions about his time in the airforce. He was shot down over Germany after strafing Luftwaffe airfields, got captured and then escaped and ended up fighting alongside a Soviet combat unit for a short time. He is famous because the Me-262 pilot he shot down was one of the biggest German aces.

http://users.fred.net/dails/joep/welcome.htm

• Like 1