Show Us Your White Dog's

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

attachicon.gifold scanned pic 001.jpg

"John Gaunt of Derby, rat-catcher to the Midland Railway Company, whose tame foxes assisted him in his duties."

They have been called many things throughout the years, hunt terriers, Fox Terriers, Jack Russells, Parson Russells or just plain old white dogs. I'm not suggesting that they are all of an ancient lineage with nothing added over time (despite what the deluded owners of £600 KC Parson's are led to believe) but the "type" endures.

That exact same TYPE is still kept in Ireland to this day 2017.. same size looks and coat.

John Gaunt, or as he was also known John Weldon, the saw mills rat catcher was said to keep a fox terrier type.

Would the terrier in your pic be a fox terrier type ?

Not sure if you are referring to the old pic I posted Neil or something that Stop end has posted?

If it is the old photo then I don't know exactly when it was taken, looks late 19th/early 20th century? At that time the KC Fox Terrier had not travelled too far down the path of exaggeration and misinterpreted written breed standard.so they would still of resembled the white dogs here, but as John Gaunt was a rat-catcher I would of thought he would not have had either the inclination or the funds to buy from none-working KC stock. So technically not Fox Terriers, although maybe people would still of referred to them as such.

His terriers were often referred to as Fox Terriers types but then again leggy white working terriers were often referred to as such up to 30 or 40 years ago in some places.

I just mentioned that John Gaunt, aka John Weldon aka The Sawmills Ratcatcher's terriers were of the working Fox Terrier type of the era.

Incidentally he said the foxes were better ratters as they'd catch a rat with 2 or 3 dead rats already in their mouths.

I have a funny feeling that the terrier in Stop Ends photo and Mr Gaunts terriers have only one thing in common, they're white.

• Like 2

Little 2yr bitch. Awesome all round, marker, finder, mixer. Been on coon, g'hog, possum, fox.

now thats a real nice sort. :yes:

Thanks hjckcff. She is pretty special to me, easiest terrier I ever started. My go to terrier for tough spots...

• Like 1