Show Us Your White Dog's

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What qualities did the Tip dog add to a line that had English bull as well as fox terrier in the mix

Allymoore,

Just my opinion but I think "Northsider" has written that his line had become too close, he looked outside and was offered Tip to trial and breed from if it suited.

The qualities required that would show up at trial would be....Work, Work and bloody Work, whether he would produce had to be a gamble when bred into a different working line. I don't think that there were any genetic links to Tip. He produced and the rest is history. Tip is in the lines of only a small number of lines in Cork.

Some kennels prefer it this way.

Northside would be able to give a better answer I am sure.

Something similar happened when the odd White terrier from Wales (Breay and Barker), Ireland (Irving) and England (Fox terrier in the Lakey's) were bred into the terriers up in Fell Pack country, these men were not afraid to breed based on ability and performance.

They were not too worried about pedigree, coat type, colour etc.... they valued work.

They had no problem writing down that a white dog was used in their line, these men had character.

The white line has the same history, men not afraid to bring in a Park terrier if they thought it would work.

Compare that to today, where in some lines a sire is selected based on whether the coat is a certain shade!

• Like 9

What qualities did the Tip dog add to a line that had English bull as well as fox terrier in the mix

Allymoore,

Just my opinion but I think "Northsider" has written that his line had become too close, he looked outside and was offered Tip to trial and breed from if it suited.

The qualities required that would show up at trial would be....Work, Work and bloody Work, whether he would produce had to be a gamble when bred into a different working line. I don't think that there were any genetic links to Tip. He produced and the rest is history. Tip is in the lines of only a small number of lines in Cork.

Some kennels prefer it this way.

Northside would be able to give a better answer I am sure.

Something similar happened when the odd White terrier from Wales (Breay and Barker), Ireland (Irving) and England (Fox terrier in the Lakey's) were bred into the terriers up in Fell Pack country, these men were not afraid to breed based on ability and performance.

They were not too worried about pedigree, coat type, colour etc.... they valued work.

They had no problem writing down that a white dog was used in their line, these men had character.

The white line has the same history, men not afraid to bring in a Park terrier if they thought it would work.

Compare that to today, where in some lines a sire is selected based on whether the coat is a certain shade!

Good points there in a sensible post.

But some breeders of today get accused of snobbery because they ,firstly choose an outcross because of it's ability, and ,secondly it's of a certain colour.

But the breeders of yesterday were spoilt because good Borders, Sealyhams ,Bull Terriers and Russells were more common.

The terrierman of today who puts some thought into his worker is more confined to the outcross he wants, but not necessarily the amount of dogs available.

The fact that most breeders of black terriers or breeders of white terriers go back to the same colour in this day and age is because in this day and age that's the outcross that will probably have a better chanc.e of working out for them.

Regarding todays breeders compared to yesteryear's ?

I've always said that there's better terriers today than in any time in the past.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
Just now, W. Katchum said:

Thought ye black dogs were genuine all ye need dogs Dan??  Have you seen the light?? Haha:laugh: doing much fishing mate?

Still got my old bitch, she had a litter and killed them, little rough bitch has gone  to a hound pack, young black dog bit my lad so he went, got a young black bitch here only 12 m old so may/may not go  this  season, mate gifted me the Russell pup, spent most the season travelling and digging other folk's dogs:whistling:got some time booked off from work next week so plan a few days pike fishing and a couple of days down with a few mates:thumbs:see f**k all has changed on here :fool:same old same old, worth logging on for a chuckle, take care Don:thumbs:atb dc

• Like 1