Handlines And Night Lines

Just doing a bit of research about old methods and interested in the handlines. What methods did they use? End tackle, bait? How do they know where the fish are on the river? Where are the night lines set and how? Interesting to learn about methods now gone ?.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I know it's good to read those old books and want to try things....we have all done it as kids..but..there is no point trying to catch trout on night lines. What happens when you return in the morning

Used to put a line across the beach bury a house brick with a line on it stretch it across the beach and bury another house brick on the other end over night. While staying in chalets on the cliff at

Posted Images

So you want to become a poacher ffs. There's guys on here will sort you out pal. Get on the big fellas with an aluminium tray, a kleek and a good torch. That gets the blood boiling. Ask W Katchum. Lol.

I do have a handline, as a visual aid in my research. I got the book ways of the old poacher. That's how income across it. Just wonder what parts of rivers they set them on. Isit really s simple as a worm on a hook? I'd be interested in knowing how it was done back in the day by you guys just for my notes. Pm is fine mind haha. Also locating fish on some of the small rivers and streams, seem to shallow and fast in places but then you have small deep pools and no way of knowing of anything is in there.

Theres a warrener DVD showing night lines,cant remember the name,ways of the old poacher or something?But we are in the 21'st century new methods and times move on,theres ways of getting fish from a water in 5 minutes nowadays.

Be careful pal-get caught and you be paying a big fine and getting a good slap for it...been stopped at night when legally fishing my club waters by the ea and they got the thermal camera with them.leave it to the history books and the dirty eastern Europeans ;).atb dc

• Like 1

Years ago I used to lamp at a place called Nassington , to reach the fields the Rabbits were in you had to cross a stream that fed the Nene via stepping stones , one morning coming back in the light there was an Eel on a line of hooks that had been strung across he stream also a long time ago I saw a cat hanging off of a tree that hung across a river called the Wreake in Leicestershire , my mate who was a very keen Fisherman told me that it was baiting a swim with the Maggots that fell from it as it decomposed.

• Like 2

Be careful pal-get caught and you be paying a big fine and getting a good slap for it...been stopped at night when legally fishing my club waters by the ea and they got the thermal camera with them.leave it to the history books and the dirty eastern Europeans ;).atb dc

When I hear of handlines I think of the 5 foot long 20 lbs plus Conger my father caught in Wicklow harbour when I was young and which my granny cooked.

Dad was big into beach casting at the time but the hand line he caught the conger on was a builders line with a 4 foot wire trace on the end which had a swivel every foot.

A large hook and a lump of mackerel as bait.

• Like 3