With this unseasonably dry spell has anyone noticed Swallows struggling to find mud ?

I seen one a few days ago looking down a roadside shore and today I seen one with a bit of straw in it's beak try to pick up some dog piss 3 foot from my stretched out lurcher.

That's a bird under pressure.

I put out a shallow tray of mud (made it myself LOL) and they came to it straight away.

Edited by neil cooney
  • Like 5

I dont think they will struggle, when you can fly, ponds, streams and rivers are only a couple of flaps away. And there is plenty about this year, could be a scorcher.

they say that every year 1 year they will get it right

there is a big puddle by my kennels and a nest inside them il take a pic of the eggs and then the chicks

• Like 1

I dont think they will struggle, when you can fly, ponds, streams and rivers are only a couple of flaps away. And there is plenty about this year, could be a scorcher.

There's a river a quarter of a mile from my house with plenty of mud along the banks but the Swallow this morning landed beside my lurcher and was trying to get some piss off the concrete into it's beak. IMO it was desperate and maybe Swallows keep a small territory ???