Sign in to follow this  
Mr Wilkes

Gate Netters Dog.

Hi all,

Anyone know whether we can legally push hares from a field or woodland night or day to a waiting net with a dog.

• Like 1

I think you can.... :thumbs:

Sorry officer but phil said he thinks we will be OK....

Cheers Phil , I thought I'd ask as it's someone else' dog we would be using and the chap wants to keep everything legal cum September .

Smithie thas a f****r .......

Yeah of course, its only flushing sure, an ye can legally use 2 dogs to do it.

• Like 1

Well if you are netting, proper,.. nice and quiet,...you won't ever need to ask an Occifer....

Just do what ya gotta do,...feck anyone else.... :laugh:

• Like 10

Thanks for the reply katchum.. but shouldn't you be practicing fly shooting with ya new buddy's on air gun section ...

Thanks for the reply katchum.. but shouldn't you be practicing fly shooting with ya new buddy's on air gun section ...

Im a natural mate, no practice needed

• Like 1

Wat kind mutt ye using mr wilkes? Ole collie i used to use for a mess about with webs is on last legs now, i don't think the inlaws will

replace it either, so unless i try an use one of the colliexlakies, then that's the end of that, and tbh i dont think the colliexlakies will do it like collie could or ill get them off father in law long enough to give em good bash haha

Yeah of course, its only flushing sure, an ye can legally use 2 dogs to do it.

That could get messy lol, but a gate net can be a lethal thing in the right hands, especially if a person knows the land

Your flushing the hare with the dog, not coursing, just like flushing to gun, hawk or net, im sure its perfectly legal, atleast i hope so haha

• Like 1

It's the farmers collie/cur, he says she spends most of the time pushing hares around rather than his sheep...

Well if you are netting, proper,.. nice and quiet,...you won't ever need to ask an Occifer....

Just do what ya gotta do,...feck anyone else.... :laugh:

No body in the right mind it's going to ask a police man if it's OK lol.. but you could argue they are a few about not sound of mind.

Personal I'd have just got on with it like you said above.

• Like 1

When I was a teenager and had read and heard about the legendary dogs that would quarter a field and drive a hare into a gate net I said it to a local character.

He told me his lurcher could do it.

So out we went and drapped a net over a gate and made our way around the back of the field (no one at the net.) and up she jumps and my mate slipped his lurcher.

After a turn or two she decided enough was enough and it was time to get out of town so she made a straight line for the gate with the lurcher just following at this stage and under the gate she slipped, putting her in the bag.

He was right, his dog could put a hare into a gate net, LOL, but not very traditionally.

Ever since then every hare I've ever gate netted the dog was left at home.

• Like 1

When I was a teenager and had read and heard about the legendary dogs that would quarter a field and drive a hare into a gate net I said it to a local character.He told me his lurcher could do it.

So out we went and drapped a net over a gate and made our way around the back of the field (no one at the net.) and up she jumps and my mate slipped his lurcher.

After a turn or two she decided enough was enough and it was time to get out of town so she made a straight line for the gate with the lurcher just following at this stage and under the gate she slipped, putting her in the bag.

He was right, his dog could put a hare into a gate net, LOL, but not very traditionally.

Ever since then every hare I've ever gate netted the dog was left at home.

slipped, any hare will hit a gate you just need a dog to push it,

My point being that there's a big difference between a dog coursing a hare that slips under a gate into a net and the dogs of legend that would range out and quarter a field driving the hare purposely into a net.

I found it easier to leave a lad at the net and someone walk the field towards the net. No dog.

• Like 1