the cold snap is here

I just thought that I would put this up with the big freeze on the way and according to the weather people this is going to be the worst winter on record …. I did a similar thing in the summer with regards to heat injurys … some of it may be teaching you to suck eggs but it may be of use to the new lads to the game … firstly lets remember that dogs can get hypothermic … this happens when a dog’s body temperature drops below 95 degrees Fahrenheit …. Elderly or very young dogs are sometimes unable to regulate their body temperature properly and are at greater risk of hypothermia should the temperature drop dramatically in the night …. Another cause of hypothermia is shock … this is more for the terrier boys that may have their dogs out on a hard dig and the dog has taken a bit of punishment … now the dog will experience some sort of shock as the adrenaline runs slower in the body and the effect of the dig starts to take its toll …. Make sure these dogs are warm enoughe especially for the first 24 hours after the dig ….. here are a couple of signs of hypothermia….. weak pulse, decreased heart rate, dilated pupils, shivering, blue mucous membranes, stupor, unconsciousness and eventually coma. Frostbite can also be a problem at this time of year so her is what to look out for …… discoloration of the skin (blue early on and black in later stages). Areas prone to frostbite are the tips of ears, the tail, and pads of the feet …. also there will be a lack of pain or sensation of the affected area or it may be extremely painful when the area begins to warm up …. Prevention of hypothermia is easy and common sense …. Make sure the dog is in a dry and windproof shelter with plenty of warm bedding …. Make sure he has plenty of drinking water (check regularly that it isn’t frozen) as a dehydrated dog will quickly go down hill …. If possible pour a warm gravy over his food as dogs digest warm food quicker enabling the body to make best use of the meal …. When you get back in if the dog is wet or muddy dry him thoughrely before kennelling ….. if your dog is suffering with a cold injury here is what you should do … get the dog into a warm dry windproof shelter … dry the dog off (if it is wet ) wrap him in a dry blanket or coat …. Give regular small amounts of water …. Warm the dog gently … don’t try and warm the dog to quickly as this will cause the onset of shock and could prove fatal …. Remember that our dogs cant tell us whats up with them so watch them closely at this time of year …. For all you guys with short haired dogs there are loads of sites where you can by winter kennelling coats for the cold nights ...........

• Like 3

good post socks :drink: whats your advice for the tips of the ears mate as every winter my dogs ears split and bleed , i cover them in vaseline and after our mooch sudacream is there anything else i can do mate :drink:

baby oil mate ;) ............

• 7 months later...

Thanks Socks. :thumbs:

I find, on very cold nights, a heat lamp set up at the right height, works great. :)

[/quote

Hi Frank,

Just wondering at what height do you have your heat lamp ? I hope to buy one for the winter coming and i am a bit worried as to what height i should put it.

Yours

Shane.T

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...