The Allrouder

i think loads exist,everywhere.it can't only be me and people i know that have caught a ferreted rabbit in the morning,course a hare and mainly roe in the afternoon and catch fox,rabbit,hare lamping all with the same dog.i could still probably do that every day if it was legal now.

Edited by ginger beard
  • Like 1

Depends people versions of an all rounder my dad had a 3/4 greyhound 1/4 collie years ago before I was on this planet that was good at ferreting would work up in the day catch hares on the fen take the odd fox she worked the gun well and caught on the beam he never did many deer with her he just liked to have bunnies and hares to me that would be an all rounder if a dog didn't put food in the table it was gone simple as that I'm after one like that myself ?

• Like 2

You 1st need to agree what an all-rounder is ,there's as many different ideas on that as what there is dogs that are "all -rounders"

I don't use a gun so don't need a dog to work with guns ,I don't catch birds ,

So if the dog does all you need but doesn't do the above can it be an "all-rounder"

You 1st need to agree what an all-rounder is ,there's as many different ideas on that as what there is dogs that are "all -rounders"

So if the dog does all you need but doesn't do the above can it be an "all-rounder"

thats what I mean Roy everybodies got there own versions of what they describe as an all rounder some people class a dog that does every quarry Preban as an all rounder isn't to me like that's just a dog that can kill all Preban quarry but then you've gotta ask well does that dog just do all that on the beam or can it do it in the day and so on and so on

That's the thing roy, and I don't think the majority of people on here will agree what an all rounder is.

As you say, everyone will want or need a different dog to someone else. But I do think ginger beard is right. I've seen loads of lurchers over the years catching plenty of different quarry sometimes in the day, but mostly in the same night

An all rounder in my eyes is a dog that could take all legal quarry pre ban, Rabbit, Hare, Deer and Fox.

Pretty much the same as me but some want them to work to the gun ,ferret ,iron their shirt and roll them a fag while keeping the kids entertained with juggling.

• Like 2