Sign in to follow this  
Accip74

Mews/weigh Room For Sparrowhawk

Will that shed be very hot inside mate and hold the heat too without a flight .I've only ever had a Harris that was easy really and loose housed flying free .Best of luck with the hawk and keep us updated .Do sparrowhawk man better when bow tied and tied inside.

• Like 1

Will that shed be very hot inside mate and hold the heat too without a flight .I've only ever had a Harris that was easy really and loose housed flying free .Best of luck with the hawk and keep us updated .Do sparrowhawk man better when bow tied and tied inside.

Fair comment as it stands mate, but I will be cladding over those dark sheets with natural finished boards, which will help with some of the heat retention. The entrance door is at the back, which as well as having a solid door, will also have an inner sliding door in fine mesh, so this will create a nice air flow during summer days......beside this, we are in very open spot here, it's windy 300 days a year! Haha.....

Regarding the manning, I shall continue the imprinting process from about 20 days old, interaction throughout the day, eventually tied down in various ways.......A swing perch right outside my house, a bow on the lawn & a loop perch up on a shelf in the mews.

For the moult next year I will more than likely add a small outside pen to the mews as an extension for free loft weathering.

Cheers....

Edited by Accip74
  • Like 2

i guess it varies but how many hours a day does it take to look after a b.o.p in everyday care.?

i guess it varies but how many hours a day does it take to look after a b.o.p in everyday care.?

Hard to answer, but on non-flying days no more than a dog. It's just routine stuff. When you are hunting you are going to need at least 2hours+.

The challenge is finding the time to hunt routinely. If you can't get out every week with a dog, then the dogs behaviour isn't necessarily going to fall apart, but if you can't get your hawk out & killing routinely, then things can start to backtrack.....especially with accipiters.

It's the best I can answer really mate.

• Like 3

Which is why the Harris is so useful as it can be hunted on the lamp .

Use to do a lot of car hawking for magpies with a friend of mine,got some great flights on camera,often took up to 4/5 magpies a day,we used to drive around all the geeen areas in housing estates and in around graveyards etc.think I have some still pictures I took of the camera somewhere,I'll see can I route them out

• Like 3