Ferret Lost To Fox?

I WAS OUT FERRETING ON MY OWN EIGHT HOLES COVERED ALL THE HOLES WITH PURSE NETS AND THE ENLARGED ONES WITH POKE NETS. ENTERED TWO JILL FERRETS WHITE IN COLOR THEY WERE GONE ABOUT 20 MINS THEN CAME BACK UP I THEN ENTERED TWO POLECAT JILLS ANOTHER 20 MINS, THEN I COULD NOT BELIEVE IT A{FOX} BOLTED HIT ONE OF THE POKE NETS IT MANAGED TO UNTANGLE ITSELF NARROWLY MISSING MY STOP NET.WELL I HAVE BOLTED A FEW STRANGE THINGS BUT NEVER A FOX. IF I HAD A GUN OR A DOG IT WOULD HAVE BEEN ONE DEAD FOX. ONE OF THE POLE CATS EMERGED BUT THE OTHER FAILED TO SHOW, THIS HAPPENED ON THE 10TH OF APRIL THIS YEAR.[NO I DON,T HAVE A LOCATOR] TO CUT A LONG STORY SHORT DESPITE DIGGING AND LEAVING A BAITED LIVE TRAP I HAVE NEVER SEEN MY OLD POLECAT AGAIN .ANYBODY ELSE HAD SIMILAR EXPERIENCE I WOULD LOVE TO HEAR ABOUT IT. P/S APRIL 2017 WILL NOT BE FORGOTTEN IN A HURRY, ALONG WITH SOME ONE OPENING MY FERRET RUN DOOR RESULTING IN THE LOSS OF ALL MY FERRETS. THEIR BY HANGS ANOTHER TALE ROB.

• Like 1

I've bolted a few over the years-last one was down Lambourn way on a hundred hole plus warren-ran off with one of my brand new nets on his head lol-in the past I've had ferrets enter only to come back out hissing and all puffed up.atb dc

Yes bolted a couple and dug a couple. The jr would never enter a rabbit hole just mark it but if he did it was a fox. Never lost a ferret though as they tend to exit sharpish but I am sure it can happen especially if it goes to bolt and there is a ferret in its path

• Like 1

Aye bolted a few usually in the bigger sandy burrows they just pull the net and leave you get the net back some distance from the burrow when they throw it . Worst i had was when my favorite albino came out a wee 3 holers deep slash to her side and died outside the holes i just dug it out got a vixen and 3 cubs they went the same way as my ferret

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...

Had it happen twice once lost 2 to a vixon with cubs , got a mark at 12 feet no movement for couple ofhours so filled 2 holes in went back next day 1 hole opened up still marking at 12 feet.filled in again wentback a couple of times just the same so left it unable to dig it.second times working a big old warren in a copse got a few rabbits out then fox appears with my polecat in its mouth I shouted and threw netbag at it it let go of the ferret which screamed and ran away.there was no sign of my other ferret with collar on waited for hours no mark so went home.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Used to hear of story's when we was young of ferrets or especially hobs bolting a fox by accident when the lads was ferreting everywhere. One day we was out with the mixed terriers we had when we was young and one of the lads some of us knew came up the bank and said, have you a dog there for fox , my Gill been bitten by a fkn fox .we was amazed at the gesture. We dug to it in the end and true enough the ferreting lad was right. It was a vixen and in the late summer I think, to remember. The was cracking ferreting lads about them days and we'd hunt together too