Cut Shells.

That looks beastly . Being a novice with shotguns I'd shy away personally incase I f****d it up . My dad did tell me when he was younger that people opened the end of the cartridge and slowly dripped candlewax in there to turn it into a slug

That looks beastly . Being a novice with shotguns I'd shy away personally incase I f****d it up . My dad did tell me when he was younger that people opened the end of the cartridge and slowly dripped candlewax in there to turn it into a slug

Did the wax do the job.

Did the wax do the job.

Apparently so , but he never owned a shotgun and heard the story off his friends so punch of salt maybe needed

• Like 1

Called a waxer or wax slug. All these poor mans slugs are from the US back in the day for if you got a chance at something big when out after small stuff.

Yeah, for all practical purpose they are not okay in the UK! LOL

• Like 2

waxing bird shot wont do any damage, but is pointless as the shot just opens on impact so no penatration improvements.

you can also remove birdshot and replace with buckshot. as long as you dont exceed the weight of shot.people where its legal. replace birdshot with solid balls or slugs

which work fine as long as no tight choke and you dont exceed weight of shot (ie if using 30 gram loads make sure buck or ball or slug doesnt exceed 30 grams)

Why would you want to do that anyway its only good for close range . bolting boar i suppose but there no accurate like a rifle

I doubt it would penetrate boar. It all looks very impressive against plastic water jugs and paper targets, but you have to remember all you're firing is the plastic wad and a small part of the plastic case together, making maybe a few grams of soft plastic. Somehow against a solid or tough surface, I think it would more than likely bounce off or just cause surface damage.

Cut shells, well I've seen the videos etc on YouTube.

I reload shotshells and 3 different centrefire rifle cartridges, so I think I have some experience.

I've not tried cut shells but I reckon at close range i.e. under 40 feet they would 'spoil your day'

completely if hit by one? But as a proposition for sporting use I cant see any practical use or advantage

to such things. That said I am sure they would fire safely through any shotgun barrel. As to the 'legality'

I don't think such a scenario is covered by the Firearms Licencing blurb, so if you want to try it carry on.

By the way best of luck with the FAC slug condition thing NOT.

• Like 1

Wasnt the cut shell initially a prohibition era ish 'invention of necessity' in the states because of access issues or restrictions over pistols and rifles?

I did a bit of reading about them a few years back but can't quite put my finger on the site I found that had loads of info on it about cut shells and other 'hacks' to get around different problems