Cocker X Clumber

Although being around gundogs all my life iv only ever owned 1 which was a tiny cocker bitch to worker under my old goshawk, so I'm a novice with the gundogs, a mate of mine is thinking about mating his cocker dog over his columber bitch, the cocker is tiny dog that's really fast and will go through any cover, the clumber is again a really small bitch fairly fast for a clumber but a lot steadier than a cocker she will also go through any cover that any cocker spaniel would but with her being steadier she doesn't miss anything! The question I'm asking is does anyone have any experience with this cross and do you think it's worth a shot or a total waste of time?

Atb shaddy

The author of a book I read recently believed that the Cocker and Clumber were closely related and that the Clumber would most benefit from the infusion of Cocker blood because of that.

f**k knows but your post reminded me of that....

• Like 1

Thanks for the reply, an old boy I know who's messed about with terriers lurchers and spaniels for over 50 years told me that there's no such thing a true working clumber now as the working climber of today is made up of a lot of cocker spaniel blood, don't know if this is true?? I just thought that sometimes the cocker is abit too nutty for some and sometimes the climber is abit too slow for some so maybe if a mating went to plan you could maybe get the inbetween, a fastish spaniel that goes into any cover but finds more than your average cocker.

Atb

Thanks for the reply, an old boy I know who's messed about with terriers lurchers and spaniels for over 50 years told me that there's no such thing a true working clumber now as the working climber of today is made up of a lot of cocker spaniel blood, don't know if this is true?? I just thought that sometimes the cocker is abit too nutty for some and sometimes the climber is abit too slow for some so maybe if a mating went to plan you could maybe get the inbetween, a fastish spaniel that goes into any cover but finds more than your average cocker.

Atb

why not use a nice strong springer dog or get one instead of crossing it ?, they do the lot, water and land , good at bushing as well. i ve seen many working , when i used to go beating .Ok the lab the best peg dog,and water dog , but strong male springer , does great job as well . great at beating flushing birds up , and strong enough if they bumped into a charlie , i seen it few times on fox drive , where the springers have pushed them out, tough dogs and great gundog :thumbs:

I am contemplating a springer ray I know the owner of teignsedge spaniels I know him very well

sound that then , he prob sort you a nice dog pup out, if he does put few pics up :thumbs:

I am contemplating a springer ray I know the owner of teignsedge spaniels I know him very well

sound that then , he prob sort you a nice dog pup out, if he does put few pics up :thumbs:

He offered me an older bitch earlier actually lovely little springer bitch iv seen her work lots of times she's getting on abit now I remember s time when he was being offered £2000 for her, she struggles with a full day beating now but she would be perfect for what I want just mooching with the lurchers

Spaniel to a spaniel should do the job. How quickly and effectively it does that job would be hard to judge but as has been said there are a lot of people who don't want a head banger of a hunting dog for beating etc

Try it and see what happens but i would hazard that they will make semi useful dogs in the worst case.

Problem always comes in my mind (as with lurchers) is if you have one that turns out a cracker what do you then do? Breed from it (and in that case what do you go to without diluting too much one way or the other), buy another similar bred, that might take the wrong way or try something else.

Not a real consideration but once you go with a cross that is what you are stuck with.

Dan

I have a clumber x cocker who is 12 now and retired.fantastic nose and one of the best retrievers i have had.very thorough when looking for dead game but with very little prey drive not so good in a beating line.she would not work thick cover even with my two sprockers.

Go and watch a field test with clumbers, maybe with a mix of ESS and Crockers thrown in. Bet that would make your mind up a bit smartish. Bit similar to them that try with Golden Retrievers and chocolate labs. Totally useless. Only my humble opinion. Jok.