First Fac In West Yorkshire?

Hello all,

I'm planning to apply for my first FAC, the coterminus with SGC included. Have searched various forums but have not found the info I'm looking for, was curious about what West Yorkshire police force are like to deal with? My North Yorkshire shooting mates all seem to think that I will be given a hard time and the that WYP are more restrictive.

On my permission there are deer, foxes and rabbits, pigeons to be had. It has been certified for hunting with larger caliber centerfires.

I wanted to apply for:

.17hmr - vermin

.243 - deer/foxes

I hear a lot that it depends on your FEO, that some people get all they want on their first ticket and that others have to do mentors/DSC1's etc for deer.

I am based in fairly central Leeds.

I hope this is not too well trodden an issue, have been looking through old posts and not seen anything West Yorkshire specific.

Cheers,

Guy

if you have a need for it then apply for it. I would also advise joining one of the shooting organisations, who can support and advise you better than anyone on a forum can, with any complications that may arise with your application.

best of luck

Edited by belly47
  • Like 1

West yorkshire not that bad mate I got 22 rf and 17 hmr and sgc on my first aplication then got my cert opened after 18 month . Might be pushing your look with 243 but you never no .

Why would he be pushing his luck? If he can show good reason then they have to allow it.

West yorkshire not that bad mate I got 22 rf and 17 hmr and sgc on my first aplication then got my cert opened after 18 month . Might be pushing your look with 243 but you never no .

Why would he be pushing his luck? If he can show good reason then they have to allow it.

Sorry but with a firearm they don't have to allow it, good reason is obviously a contributing factor however it's at their discretion unlike a SGC which is slightly more relaxed. I would suggest they would take into consideration the shooters experience of firearms and may initially grant a rim rife or of they grant a c/f maybe some (controversial) mentoring clause.

Don't forget it's not a privalidge to own one it's his right to own one fit the criteria and the can't stop you join basc get the land owner to phone in police to say he has problems on land get it done fella do the basics no backstops no shot safety first and last shoot pellets or 243 think safe good luck

Sorry but with a firearm they don't have to allow it, good reason is obviously a contributing factor however it's at their discretion unlike a SGC which is slightly more relaxed. I would suggest they would take into consideration the shooters experience of firearms and may initially grant a rim rife or of they grant a c/f maybe some (controversial) mentoring clause.

If good reason is shown they do have to grant it unless there is good reason not to. Neither do you need to accept having a mentor i didn't and it wasn't questioned.

I re read my post and suppose in a nut shell am asking if it's worth applying for.243 on first ticket in West Yorkshire or whether I should just request SGC and .17hmr then request variation after some more time and potentially DSC?

I have 2 friends with no previous shooting experience who got 2x .22LR + a .243 + .22-250 all open on 1st grant (Not West Yorks). There situation for the CF's was slightly different in that they wanted them for stalking in Scotland so they ahd to be open.

If good reason is shown they do have to grant it unless there is good reason not to. Neither do you need to accept having a mentor i didn't and it wasn't questioned.

Sorry no they don't it is a privilege not a right for firearm ownership. Good reason is a valid request to apply for a firearm certificate but not guarantee you will be issued with one. ultimately it is the discretion of the firearms licensing dept. I wasn't requested to have a mentor either but it seems to have become a common occurrence of recent times especially where c/f are concerned.

ATB

• 2 weeks later...