Alright guys. Just wanted to ask, are every kill of yours clean or have you had guilty times? I just shot a crow in the carpark by mine and it hit the wing. He couldn't fly but run off trying. I had to keep chase down the road to and about I've minutes later he turned into the long grass and just sat there. When I got up close poor bugger was looking up at me. I checked him over and his wing was badly Injured so I put him to sleep. I just feel bad because it was never my intention to out it through any suffering and when he finally stopped he was just looking up at me. As silly as it sounds I feel a bit guilty and saddened by it. Anybody else felt this way whilst hunting?

no matter what hunting you do there is all ways going to be suffering of some sort. But we all aim to keep it to the bare minimum. But things do happen and it would be a lie to say other wise

Alright guys. Just wanted to ask, are every kill of yours clean or have you had guilty times? I just shot a crow in the carpark by mine and it hit the wing. He couldn't fly but run off trying. I had to keep chase down the road to and about I've minutes later he turned into the long grass and just sat there. When I got up close poor bugger was looking up at me. I checked him over and his wing was badly Injured so I put him to sleep. I just feel bad because it was never my intention to out it through any suffering and when he finally stopped he was just looking up at me. As silly as it sounds I feel a bit guilty and saddened by it. Anybody else felt this way whilst hunting?

Any real reason you shot the crow if it was only in a car park? Not good for eating and 1 bird isnt gonna make any dent in the population. Sounds like you instantly regretted it anyway. Just wondering if there was a reason, not trying to have a dig or be an arse

No I understand mate. It was for the ferret that I shot it, I normally give them bits of pheasant as a bit of roughage. If it had been a clean head shot i would of been om with it but I guess being up close to the injured bird and picking him up I had alot of compassion for him.

No I understand mate. It was for the ferret that I shot it, I normally give them bits of pheasant as a bit of roughage. If it had been a clean head shot i would of been om with it but I guess being up close to the injured bird and picking him up I had alot of compassion for him.

Fair enough mate, never shot one myself but i don't own any ferrets so be no need. Could be the best shot in the world but you're still gonna f**k it up every now and then...compassion is a good thing, i wouldnt worry about it Edited by daveee88

If you never felt anything that would be more worrying mate we are human, not perfect, anyone who tells you they only get 100 percent clean head shots are either lying or have only ever shot one thing and that goes for all forms of shooting from the highest quality of weapons right down to catty,s, just have a walk round your local pheasant shoot after the guns have all gone home with a couple of terriers and see how many birds are left running around but unable to fly, just don't let the keeper see you

Congratulations mate - you're human :thumbs:

As already kind of said above - it'd be worse if you didn't give a shit.

I hunt with air rifles. They're fairly precise but, sometimes shit happens. It's not nice and it's never intended but, part of hunting is learning how to deal with those situations.

Am I allowed to laugh at the thought of you chasing a crow that's running down the road yet? :laugh:

Atb

I've not shot game with my catapult; mostly plinking and target shooting. The nearest for me is foul hooking a fish (sea fishing), especially if the hook is swallowed down deep and cant't be removed. Am never happy about that.

We are only human and although we try our best we are unfortunately going to wound something in your career , sometimes a quick follow up shot is the answer other times its chasing it down the road if you dont have a dog

• Like 1

we have all injured something at some time or another,you put it out of its misery mate moove on you did the right thing in dispatching it ,you were not killing just for the sake of killing that's the main thing

Yes I feel like that every time it go's wronge Glad you feel like that its good to respect your quarry

Yes mate looking up at you just like the blackbird and song thrush nestlings that the evil black bar steward has been hammering these last few weeks....well done mate, keep it up..

• Like 1

Thanks for the replys gents. It's just when its injured and its calling out In pain, tugs at the heart strings. Good to see others here think in the same way. I had a nice bag last night but they were all clean kills with the air rifles. I know what you mean about the foul hooked fish when they swallow it.

• Like 1